Thermostat battery life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long should i expect the batteries in a 2 wire thermostat to last. I am considering the Danfoss RET B.

Sponsored Links
what type of batteries does the unit have and how long did they last :?:

Anything over 12 months and you will be doing well.

Take manufacturers figures with a pinch of salt.

I have some that need new batteries every year, whilst others last 2 years (all the same make stat).

Whatever you do, do not use rechargeable batteries.

Sponsored Links
I dont have one yet, am just shopping around.. I have a twin and earth cable to the stat location currently

I dont have one yet, am just shopping around.. I have a twin and earth cable to the stat location currently
If that is something installed by anybody but you, you could well find that it is actually not 2-core and earth, but wrongly colourcoded like it.

Also depends on the quality and the 'sell by' date on the batteries you use.
The usable capacity of batteries decreases as they near the end of their shelf life.

It may be more economical to use two or three sets of plain zinc carbon batteries, expecting to change them frequently, than one set of ultra high capacity gold and platinum plated batteries.

I know it is twin + earth cable. Are there any 2 wire thermostats which don't need a battery?

I know it is twin + earth cable.

It may well be twin and earth cable. That doesn't mean that the brown/red is live, the blue/black neutral, and the bare one earth. Quite often they are wired using the earth as a switched live, which is what bengasman was referring to.

I see what you mean now. Is it ok to use the earth as a switched live? I thought that was bad practice.

I see what you mean now. Is it ok to use the earth as a switched live? I thought that was bad practice.

It's very bad practice. You can use the twin and earth for a battery powered stat though, provided you alter the wiring correctly at the other end.

My room stats go for well over a year with a pair of alkaline cells. The relay inside is stable in two positions, so it only needs power to switch it, rather than drawing current all the time the heating is on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back