Thermostat for Baxi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks I am hoping that someone can give me some advice please. I have had a big renovation project on my hands and as part of it I have had the house re-plumbed and installed a new gas boiler & rads. It is a big old brute so we have installed a 40KW Baxi Duo Tec Combi Boiler and my question is that at this stage I have not installed any thermostatic controls other than those that are on the boiler itself.

I am looking for some advice as to what is the best system to use to remotely control the boiler. I have been trying to investigate and am a bit baffled, originally I was going to install a Baxi 7 Day Wireless Thermostat (wireless is my preferred option now given the walls etc are all replastered and house is nearly done) but I have heard it is not great - is there another brand that is compatible? I am truly baffled about the programmable room thermostats - do you need one for each room?

As you can see I am a little clueless and am really hoping a kind soul out there can direct me. This is a big project and I want to get this last bit right so any advice on this matter would be fantastic.

Sponsored Links
I have been trying to investigate and am a bit baffled, originally I was going to install a Baxi 7 Day Wireless Thermostat (wireless is my preferred option now given the walls etc are all replastered and house is nearly done) but I have heard it is not great - is there another brand that is compatible? I am truly baffled about the programmable room thermostats - do you need one for each room?
It's not that complicated ;)

Most thermostats will work with most boilers. You don't have to buy one made by your boiler manufacturer.

As you say, wireless sounds the way to go if you don't want to disturb decor, although wired are usually less hastle in the long run (no batteries required, no "linking" procedure required to get the transmitter and receiver to talk to each other).

Stick to big names: Honeywell, Danfoss, Drayton, Siemens and so on. Download and read the Manufacturers Instructions and see if the features and ease-of-use are right for you.

"Programmable" really just means that the thermostat is combined with a timeswitch too. Very handy and versatile, e.g. you can set the temp to be 15 degrees at night and 20 degrees during the day.

You generally only need ONE for the whole system, sited in a part of the house that's heated by a radiator without a Thermostatic Radiator Valve, and not affected by gas fires, excessive sunlight, open external doors and so on. The beauty with wireless ones is that you can experiment with different places, and only fix it in place when you're satisfied that you've chosen the right spot.

C.

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Chris cheers for all the info on where to place the thermostat - that makes it much more understandable. I know it is not that complicated but this is my first modern non oil boiler and so far all I have been used to is controller that you tell when to go off and on.

Dan I am interested in understanding about the zones - how does that work? Can you buy a thermostat that has a number of wireless recievers and how does that work? Does it not all fight each other or does it work on the basis of lowest common denominator as in the thermostat reading the lowest temp makes the system kick in?

Sponsored Links
Ok so after a bit more research I think I need additional recievers in order for use a multi zone format. Am I right and saying in order to have a 4 zone system I would need to have 4 x BDR91 receivers? These can then be used in 4 rooms/zones in the house?

If that is the case they don't make it easy to buy as it is a struggle to find the recievers and I can't appear to find the H'Well CM927 with a multi zone system available as a pack to buy.

Any more ideas????

You'll need to use zone valves to hydraulically isolate the different zones then use a CM927 to control each valve of that zone. The BDR91 receivers come with each CM927.

You don' necessarily make one room one zone.

If the plumbing is already done, then it is not too late as yo can use the CM Zone system.

Not the cheapest way of doing it, but by far the simplest. This gives you 2 zones with unlimited rads in each zone.

If you want four zones, then you need two packs. I think you get 6 rad valve heads in each pack, and it around £80 for each additional valve head.

Have had this system myself and it was very effective. PITA sometimes with batteries needing changing.

As a budget alternative, Peglar iTemp valve offer individual time controls over each rad, but not a boiler interlock. So you will still need one programmable room stat (or simple timer and standard stat).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back