Tado Starter Kit V3 with Wireless Smart Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I am hoping somebody can give me some advise on the correct way to install my new Tado kit.

I currently have a Baxi Duo-Tec Combi Boiler with an intergrated timer and a wired Honeywell T6360B1028 thermostat.

I bought the starter kit thinking the thermstat could be wired in to replace my Honeywell.... The fact it's wireless thermostat wasn't a big enough clue for me.

I have looked at how to connect the wireless receiver to the boiler and my first issue is that the instructions advise that there should be a bridge between terminals 1 & 2 - There are actually two sperate wires in these terminals which I understand to be from my thermostat supply in terminal 1 and switch in terminal 2.

Can someone give me advise on the best way forward. Do I simply disconnect these two wires from terminasl 1 & 2 within my boiler and then connect the wireless receiver as per the Tado instructions? I assume I would then need to disconnect wires from the thermostat itself? Happy to provide pictures of how the thermostat is connected if required.

Also, once I have done this and have the wireless thermostat connected, Do I just keep the integrated mechanical timer on constant rather than disconnect it and I can programme the times and temps from my phone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are several Wiser starter kits. For a straight swap of an existing wired thermostat on a combi boiler (ie one without a separate hot water cylinder) you should have the 'wired version' of the Wiser. With the wired version then the wires from terminals 1 & 3 of the Honeywell T6360B simply go to COM and NO at the Wiser instead. And the existing boiler time control is set to be permanently 'on' 24/7 allowing the Wiser to take full control.

However from your description it sounds as if you may have the version with the separate wired control box like this....

Capture.JPG

....if so, it becomes more complicated. This is really for systems where there isn't an existing wired thermostat and the thermostat installation is from scratch. So to answer your question, if you do have the Wiser with the control box, the best way forward would probably be to exchange it for the wired version.

However if you did want to use the wireless version, unless you were happy to have the control box on the wall where the existing thermostat is then it would need rewiring. Also, if there isn't a neutral connection made to terminal 2 of the Honeywell T6360B [some installations have this connection and some don't] again some rewiring would be required.

Thank you for coming back to me Stem, very much appreciated.

I think I am going to return the wireless tado thermostat to replace it for a wired version to replace my wired Honeywell thermostat.

Am I right in thinking that the wireless receiver/extension that I can wire into the boiler would only be of use if I have a wireless thermostat or for hot water? As I have a combi boiler and will fit a wired Tado thermostat, I presume I won’t need the wireless receiver, simply the internet bridge which I have connected in my router?

This would leave me with an internet bridge plugged into my router, a wired thermostat and 8 Smart radiator thermostats. Would this be sufficient to heat rooms independently?

Thank you

First of all my apologies, I got confused jumping about from one post to another :confused:. My above post mentions and shows a Drayton Wiser not a Tado. Fortunately they are similar....So anyway, back to Tado.

Am I right in thinking that the wireless receiver/extension that I can wire into the boiler would only be of use if I have a wireless thermostat or for hot water? As I have a combi boiler and will fit a wired Tado thermostat, I presume I won’t need the wireless receiver, simply the internet bridge which I have connected in my router

That's generally the idea. The wires shown from the boiler as 'RT' [Remote Thermostat] in the diagram below are those presently going to your Honeywell thermostat terminals 1 and 3

11-jpg.222156

You can use a wireless thermostat with a combi and they frequently are. For example in a new installation, or with one that already has an existing wireless thermostat. The wired receiver can be connected at any convenient point, usually next to the boiler, and then the thermostat can be positioned in the best location without the need to run a new cable out to it.

Where there is a hot water storage cylinder, then the wired receiver would replace the existing programmer. The heating / hot water control wires are already at the programmer, so it's a swap of the existing programmer for the wireless receiver.

This would leave me with an internet bridge plugged into my router, a wired thermostat and 8 Smart radiator thermostats. Would this be sufficient to heat rooms independently?
The TRV's will regulate the temperature of the rooms in which they are located. They won't make the radiators produce more heat than they would without TRV's, it just means that as the rooms reach to the temperature set on them the TRV's will reduce the heat emitted by the radiators to maintain the set temperature.

I haven't installed any Tado TRV's so I'm not exactly sure how they work. If they are independent and are simply controlled from the internet bridge, then all should be well. However, it might be worth checking with Tado just in case they need to work in conjunction with a wireless receiver.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you Stem,

I have decided to purchase the Wired starter kit so that I can simply swop my Wired Honeywell thermostat with the wired Tado without the need to connect a wiress receiver to the boiler. I beleive the smart radiator thermostats are independant and controlled from the internet bridge.

You might be interested that someone else has just successfully swapped their old wired thermostat for a new wired Tado. You can read about it by clicking here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back