Thermostat low but rads still coming on!

your boiler will have a built in frost stat that over rides all the other controls, i'm not sure what it is set at on your boiler but it's normally 5 degrees, if the temp drops below that where it is the boiler will fire to protect itself until it reaches a certain temp then it will turn off, which is why your rads are only getting lukewarm when it does it, if the boiler is in a unheated space i always fit a seperate frost stat along with a low limit pipe stat on the ret

I don't know where the frost stat would be on the boiler. I know if I take the front off there is a dial that just goes from Min to Max. What ought I to set it at? At present it's about 3/4's towards Max.

Sponsored Links
it will be built into the boiler & isn't normally user adjustable, it may be a PITA but it's doing what it is designed to do, thats the prob with fitting boilers in an unheated space like a garage or a loft

it will be built into the boiler & isn't normally user adjustable, it may be a PITA but it's doing what it is designed to do, thats the prob with fitting boilers in an unheated space like a garage or a loft

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I'm making more of this than is needed! I wonder if it's worth putting one of those low wattage space heaters in the garage.

Sponsored Links
or maybe build a protective insulated enclosure round it? Kingspan would to the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back