Thermostat Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my mother's temperamental thermostat with a Hive one. The boiler is currently being fed through the receiver (which is being fed from a fused spur a couple of inches away).
I intend to put a new flex in from the fused spur direct to the hive L&N (doing away with the connectors) and feed the boiler from the same terminals.
Looking at the diagram (and reading the info on here) I am connecting the A (black) to Common on the Hive and B (grey) to 3 (NO) on the Hive.
I was wondering what the purpose of the red link is on the current receiver as the diagram has nothing going into it.
20221201_111906.jpg

Sponsored Links
The link does absolutely nothing. The two L terminals are already connected together internally.

I would guess whoever installed it assumed that it required an L connecting to both terminals so added the loop. It's not the first time I've seen it.

Sponsored Links
The addition live connector is there to allow a Live to be bridged over to the other side of the stat and then a single SL could be sent to the boiler. Avoids having to try and jam 2 wires into the same small terminal, which they had done anyway.

As suggested, the installer probably thought that the live (brown) from the FCU needed to be bridged over to the other L to power the stat but it's already internally connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back