Thermostat replacement - recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have recently moved house and after forgetting to turn down the thermostat when I left home to go out, resulting for it to heat the whole house all day & night!! At my previous house, I fitted the Nest Thermostat, which I got used to hence forgotten to turn down the temp manually at this new house! :LOL:

So, obviously I want to replace this mechanical thermostat with a Smart thermostat, but because the boiler is very old, I don't want to spend too much money until the whole boiler is replaced including new thermostat. Oh, and it doesn't have any timer for the heating too!

So, what can I replace the mechanical thermostat with a Smart thermostat with inbuilt timer? It needs to be app controlled, fit over the old thermostat without additional box/wiring and allows me to adjust the temperature remotely.

Current system:

Ideal Slimline Classic FF340
BoilerMate 2000
Honeywell thermostat - mechanical

Thank you, all.

Tony

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wiser.

Pick a set to suit.
You can upgrade the kits to suit new boilers etc as you need.

Got the wireless version, then found it doesn't work with the old system. So I swapped it for the wired version.
Now it says my Honeywell thermostat - mechanical T6360B is not supported!

What next?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Got the wireless version, then found it doesn't work with the old system. So I swapped it for the wired version.

What next?

Thanks.
?
Can you explain in a bit more detail?

Reactions: CBW
Sorry I forgot to include the screenshot.

1000022129.png

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I am trying yet it says it can't replace my old thermostat.
So compatibility doesn’t come into it. Remove the Honeywell and connect the wires together that are in terminals 1 and 3. Safely isolate the other wires. Make sure you have switched off the power before touching anything.

With your existing wiring, any Tado could be fitted in place of your existing stat.
Although it may be worth checking that the blue wire is indeed connected to a neutral at the other end of the cable.

I.e. for the wireless receiver...
Screenshot_20231223-195936_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Blue would connect to N
Red to L
Yellow to NO

Additionally, a short link wire would be added between the second L and COM.

The green/yellow earth wire would go into a parking terminal.

For the wired stat...
Screenshot_20231223-200529_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Red to COM
Yellow to NO
Blue to parking P1
Green/yellow to parking P2

Your current stat could be listed as incompatible, purely because there isn't an illustrated example of that exact model, on the app yet - your wiring should be compatible!

• Thanks
Thank you, @RandomGrinch - that's very helpful.

I have wired them up as per to above and powered on the power.

The boiler has started heating. I turned down the temperature to below the current air temperature, but the boiler is still running.

Any ideas? I am wondering if the yellow should go to NC?

Thanks again.

1000022264.jpg

The boiler has started heating. I turned down the temperature to below the current air temperature, but the boiler is still running.
How long have you left it running for?
Some boilers have a pump overrun to dump some of the heat from the system.

I am wondering if the yellow should go to NC?
No, NO is the correct terminal.
Your old thermostat was basically a simple switch, connecting together the red and yellow wires.
If the old stat was working correctly, so should your new one.
Is the boiler still running with the Tado removed from the back plate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back