Thermostat replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1702927014088.png
I bought one of these, and I am trying to replace my standard analogue thermostat, am I correct in thinking the diagram here is exactly the one I need, that the reed switch on the thermostat is (sideways) 1&2 and 3 and 4 are the standard live and neutral?

Sponsored Links
Don't know which reed switch you’re referring to, but yes, 3 &4 N and L respectively. 1 & 2 are dry/volt free contacts, so likely the ones you’ll need.

I've done a little more research (pulled the box of the wall) its a Drayton RTS1 with three wires marked L N and CALL and it is a relay not a reed switch my mistake.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
L = L
N = N
Call = N/O
And the Drayton RTS1 is digital i.e. on/off, analogue is better with heating systems, up/down is better than on/off. Some old boilers and oil boilers it does not matter, they can't modulate anyway, but modern gas boilers modulate to gain the latent heat from flue gases, so analogue is far better with them.

In the main using the TRV to control room temperatures is analogue, hard wired zone valves are old hat, they are also on or off, the TRV is the way to go, these will slowly open and close over a range of temperature, the range is larger with mechanical than with electronic, and some of the latter type can link to some wall thermostats.

Sponsored Links
N/O = Normal open, which I admit with a thermostat is questionable, as what is normal, we would normally consider it as default when no power, however I have had one thermostat where there was a dip switch to reverse the default when used for AC units, so N/O powered AC when temperature went up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back