Wiring Smart Thermostat to Vokera Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am trying to replace my Honeywell 2 core switch fed thermostat with a smart thermostat.

The new one requires both the switch cables but also constant power via Live and neutral.

Do I provide the live and neutral from the grey and blue inside the boiler and feed the switch cables from the existing red and black? (I would do all this from a 4 core cable)

Also concerned there is no earth slot in the thermostat? Is this normal?

See photos of the boiler main board and diagram of the thermostat.

Thanks in advance all :)

Attachments

• 1658209964764_6acd8b39.png
    1658209964764_6acd8b39.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240222_210556.jpg
    IMG_20240222_210556.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240222_210618.jpg
    IMG_20240222_210618.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 24
Sponsored Links
It’s a class 2 product, so no need for an Earth terminal. Yes piggyback the L (brown) and N (blue) and use the existing red and black for switching. Yes, use 4 or 5 core flex, or 3 core flex, as you already have the switching cable and wires.

It’s a class 2 product, so no need for an Earth terminal. Yes piggyback the L (brown) and N (blue) and use the existing red and black for switching. Yes, use 4 or 5 core flex, or 3 core flex, as you already have the switching cable and wires.

Not 100% sure I agree with this.

On the basis it’s 230v controls, there should be a CPC in every cable. The fact that the thermostat is class 2 is largely irrelevant,

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

On the basis it’s 230v controls, there should be a CPC in every cable. The fact that the thermostat is class 2 is largely irrelevant,
Existing Honeywell won’t have an Earth terminal. Or are you saying that the earth should be connected at the boiler and ran to the thermostat and placed in a connector block?

Sponsored Links
Existing Honeywell won’t have an Earth terminal. Or are you saying that the earth should be connected at the boiler and ran to the thermostat and placed in a connector block?

Yes.

All 230v cables should be connected in this way

• Thanks

As always on the electrics forum, this has been discussed at length before!
It may depend on your definition of 'Point' and 'Accessory'.
It could be argued that the FCU is where the CPC should be terminated - there would be no issue running a 2 core cable directly to a (double insulated) appliance, from an FCU.
However, boiler controls are usually 'permanently' wired in. Again some argue that this would then come under the fixed wiring regulations.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back