thermostate shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a thermostate shower mixer fitted 2 years ago. It use to work fine but now it only produces warm water for the shower not hot. But if we run the cold water tap in the bath while we shower we get loads of hot water. Why would this have just started to happen, and how can i fix it as my feet get very cold while the rest is warm.x

Sponsored Links
What Valve is it?
How do you heat your water? (stored or mains)
Is the cold water stored or mains?

sounds like the thermostat element is faulty and allowing hotter water through so the colder water is making up for it (balancing it out). might need a new shower or just a new cartridge .... what's the make/model?

The water is heated by a back boiler and the cold is mains. It cost 150 2 years ago. could it be the cold value is faulty and leting too much cold through, so when I turn the cold on directly below it it relesses the pressure letting the hot get through too?

Sponsored Links
should of been plumbed in correct to start with.
not cold mains hot gravity.
install it on even pressures

The water is heated by a back boiler and the cold is mains. It cost 150 2 years ago. could it be the cold value is faulty and leting too much cold through, so when I turn the cold on directly below it it relesses the pressure letting the hot get through too?

You sound like it the best solution is to reduce the mains pressure this is done 3 ways a, a pressure reducing valve on the cold supply or b, a pressure balancing valve or C a flow restrictor.

Pressure reducing valves I have not found one that gets as low as 0.2bar that works well If anyone knows of one please say.

Pressure balancing valves will slow down the hot supply further and there is not always a simple place to install them for a DIY job I have only found 15mm ones if the hot supply is 22mm even more restriction occurs.

Flow restrictors seem the easiest route and are quite successful and cheap to try. so I would do this first.

@ £150.00 I guess it is a bar type thermostatic shower valve but would need to know to really help brand? model? photo? the more info the better.

It's a triton. What you sugest sounds complicated. as it has been working fine for 2 years isn't it a problem with the shoer thingy (technical term)

The reason it has worked okay I assume is that your ratio in pressure is within the working band of the valve, now for some reason you cold pressure is higher and it is now outside the ratio.

example if the valve will work at a ratio if 5:1 the you can have 0.2 bar pressure on the gravity hot side and 1.0bar on the cold.

To fit a flow restrictor on the cold side say 6liter per min will decrease the pressure after the restrictor (when in use) which will bring it back into the ratio required, they can normally be fitted in the inlet pot of the valve.

Simple if its a surface mounted valve. not always simple if its recessed.

if the valve works fine when you relieve the pressure a bit by opening another cold outlet then you are reducing the cold pressure proving that there is nothing wrong with the valve.

As seco says If it were plumbed in right in the first place it would not have happened. i.e he would have used equal pressures as the first choice. if you rely on mains pressure being constant your mad :D

Humm our plumber was so rubish I (a female who knows DIY but nothing about plumbing) had to re-plumb all the bath as when you released the water out of the bath it flowed all over the floor! I would like to attempt what you suggest do you think I could do it myself or do I need a plumber.
There is a water shut off in the bathroom for mains and hot do I put the new flow restricter at the shower mixer end?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back