Thermostatic bath taps/shower mixer with a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a house with a combi boiler and great water pressure. The bath taps are very hit and miss - half a turn gives hot water at a good temperature, the slightest adjustment either way results in either scorching hot water, or cold. I plan on installing a new bathroom suite, would it be advisable to use a thermostatic mixer including shower in the bath to make the temperature more constant?

Sponsored Links
I would also be interested in the answer to this question.

We have a new combi boiler and our old shower is now unusable, as the pressure is so high it's actually painful [feels like jabbing you in the face with needles!] and it's very difficult to regulate the heat because a] the dial is too hard to turn because of the pressure [and being old] and b] we have the same hit and miss, a whisker either way water temperature situation as wilco69.

There seems to be one optimum flow speed for the hot water in all taps, a tad under and it's cold and a tad over, it also starts to run colder because the water is apparently travelling through the combi too fast to warm up properly. It's quite tricky to hit just the right speed, but I guess that will come with practice

We will be fitting a new bathroom suite shortly, and I'd really be grateful if someone could advise us as to what type, and possibly make of shower to select. We have a separate shower cubicle, and the boiler is a Ravenheat combi [non modulating] and we no longer have hot and cold water tanks. Our mains water pressure seems to be very good.

Also any special advice on taps to select for bath and washbasin.

Many, many thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

I've just moved into a house with a combi boiler and great water pressure. The bath taps are very hit and miss - half a turn gives hot water at a good temperature, the slightest adjustment either way results in either scorching hot water, or cold. I plan on installing a new bathroom suite, would it be advisable to use a thermostatic mixer including shower in the bath to make the temperature more constant?

If it makes any difference, my boiler is a Glow Worm Compact 80p, the house is 9/10 year old, so I assume that it's the original boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back