Thermostatic mixer/combi boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have just been trial fitting a new set in the wall fancy shower head and a thermostatic shower mixer valve, before i go about tanking and tiling.

combi boiler ferroli, mains fed cold water system, hot water temp turned up to full at approx 55deg c.

i have done 2 trials with differing results.

Trial 1, was a couple of weeks ago just to check out teh unsoundness of my joints. I let the shower run with no other demand on the boiler, but the shower was too cold.

I tweaked an isolating valve under the tray to try to reduce the cold pressure, and hey presto we got a nice temperature shower with a nice pressure. Temperatuer adjustment wa sworking the correct way, ie cold made it coler...i was thinking job done.

In the time between now and then i have only turned the stop cock a little as the cold water perssure seemed a bit high in the taps throughout the house.

Trial 2:

opened shower valve to just get cold water. I checked that there was hot water at the mixer valve, so i then shut off fully the cold water via the isolating valve under the tray.

ran the shower again to get just hot water which is too hot but pressure was fine to shower in. I then opened the cold water isolting valve and just got hot water again.

I then shut off the hot water, and tried the cold on its own... which came out at high pressure, after a few secs of waitng.

i then tweaked the isolating valve for the cold water, and then still got only cold. I tweaked it a little further and got some sort of shower temp but was a little cool. i also noticed that the temperature adjustment of the valve seemed to be incorrect, ie tunring it hotter meant it got colder and had more pressure.

I then gave up.

Having read of valve instructions it mentions a pressure reducing valve may be required after the stop cock... do yo think that is what is causing the problems? unbalanced pressures?

if thats the case what the going rate for fitment? i looked up the valve and saw it was a jaw dropping £65 for b&q!!! are there any other solutions or cheaper valves about... also does it have to be placed after the stop tap, or just on the CW feed to the shower.

Please help/ advise

Sponsored Links
I dont recommend that you use you boiler with the hot knob at maximum. That would mean the boiler is not having any controling effect at all.

I suggest you set it for 44°C and use the shower with the tinest amount of cold water added.

Why did your plumber run off? Do you have his full details? Is he still owed money?

Tony

ok cheers for advice on temp of boiler, i`ll try that and see how i go.

Plumber still owes us money and i cant track him down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back