Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a thermostatic mixer valve in the

shower of my static caravan. The van was drained

down for the winter, but when I turned the water

back on yesterday, the valve leaks from around

the temperature control knob at the right hand end.

Is it possible to open the valve up to look inside,

or is it a new valve? Its a bar type valve.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
How did you empty the valve of water?

I suspect that you didn't, and that the water froze and damaged an 'O' ring.

What make/model is the shower valve?

Thanks for your reply Softus

I disconnected the outlet hose from the underside

of the valve, then opened the two drain cocks

underneath the van. It seems as you say that

this didn't remove every drop of water which

then froze. It was certainly cold enough!

The rest of the van was drained with no problems.
The valve came from Screwfix not sure of the make.

Sponsored Links
aray said:
Screwfix valves are cheap, save yourself some time and energy, fit a new one

An obvious supporter of the throw-away society.:rolleyes:

Rob F, speak to the valve manufacturers, they usually sell service kits.

oilman said:
An obvious supporter of the throw-away society.:rolleyes:
And, by using ScrewYouFix, he also risks throwing away the prosperity and longevity of local merchants :evil:

Never said use screwfix guys, just implied their gear is not the best so fit a better shower.

As for local suppliers, always support them.

Unfortunately as you know or should, by the time you've messed about getting the correct service kit from screwfix, ( did you read the post ? he doesnt know what make it is ), fitted it ( hopefully all being well ) , my suggestion may work out cheaper.

Throw away society whether you like it or not is here to stay, and supported by big business, or havent you noticed.

I shall post what I like, if you dont like it kindly keep your thoughts to yourself, and I will do likewise.

I've no wish to get involved in the mud slinging on here, i.e you and BOB DOLE ?

aray said:
Never said use screwfix guys, just implied their gear is not the best so fit a better shower.
Fair play - I misinterpreted what you wrote, and was mistaken, therefore I retract my comment.

aray said:
As for local suppliers, always support them.
I concur.

aray said:
Unfortunately as you know or should, by the time you've messed about getting the correct service kit from screwfix, ( did you read the post ? he doesnt know what make it is ), fitted it ( hopefully all being well ) , my suggestion may work out cheaper.
I wholeheartedly agree :)

However, why "should" I know this already?

aray said:
Throw away society whether you like it or not is here to stay, and supported by big business, or havent you noticed.
Er, yes, I've noticed, hence the content of my post :confused:

Notwithstanding that, some of us here are on a mission to preserve rather than waste, and to help this country prosper rather than apathetically and tacitly accept its demise. :rolleyes:

aray said:
I shall post what I like, if you dont like it kindly keep your thoughts to yourself, and I will do likewise.
I can't reconcile these two conflicting statements (in bold above). However, rest assured that if I don't like what you write then I won't be keeping my thoughts to myself :evil:

aray said:
I've no wish to get involved in the mud slinging on here, i.e you and BOB DOLE ?
If you don't wish to get involved then I have no idea why you would even refer to a mud-slinging contest :confused:

rest assured that if I don't like what you right then I won't be keeping my thoughts to myself

Thats been the problem all of your life, hasn't it Winston, never mind.

"And, by using ScrewYouFix, he also risks throwing away the prosperity and longevity of local merchants "

softus...on that point

i normally use PTS for my sundries.

i asked how much some 15mm isolators were that i had just asked for.

£0.95 plus the vodka !!!!

i returned them and got them from toolstation for £0.45 incl.

our local plumbers merchants are invaluable to you and me but one has to be careful not to throw money away just cos they give us free coffee and a good gossip/laugh.[/quote]

aray said:
rest assured that if I don't like what you write then I won't be keeping my thoughts to myself.

That's been the problem all of your life, hasn't it Winston, never mind.
Notwithstanding the fact that you don't know me, my comment was limited to the context of this forum. If you're telling me that you don't mind what I write, then I have no comment on that. If you're hinting that you use multiple user names on the forum, then I would say that you're being dishonest and untrustworthy - problems that I don't have.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up on the typing error, which I've now corrected.

If you're hinting that you use multiple user names on the forum, then I would say that you're being dishonest and untrustworthy - problems that I don't have

No only one name, Winston. Untrustworthy and dishonest is definitely not me, but multiple personality disorder is definitely you.

I told you I didnt want to get involved didnt I, but you pushed it, didnt you.

Now do as the doctor ordered..... Let go, relax, suck your thumb again if it helps.

I see, another patronising one who likes a spat, while pretending he doesn't. Obviously has picked up the stereotype trait of Cornishmen, to despise the English.

No Oilman , just a newbie like Winston once was.

You two obviously kissed and made up.

I post with some help, and low and behold look what I get. :rolleyes:

As I said above you two behave and stop being rude and I won't get involved with your plumbing book reading.

There you go, given you both another chance, sensible enough to take ? we'll see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back