Thermostatic shower install problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Have just had a bathroom refurb done by a local firm and am having a problem with the thermostatic shower now I've come to use it for the first time.

During the refurb, the shower was over the bath and has now been changed for a standalone shower cubicle - re-using the shower in the original position (but re-plumbed).
(The Bath is now moved to the other side of the room)

The boiler is a combi (Vaillant Ecotec 937) and has been working fine with the thermostatic shower (Mira Excel) for ~12 months.

A pic of the shower...

The flow is controlled from the lever on the left and the temp on the round part.

With the flow on full as usual, no hot comes out until the temp setting is set on the lowest end (1). :eek:
It stays scalding until the temp setting gets to the top end (8/9) then it step changes to go freezing cold.

Is it possible that the pipes are now connected the wrong sides, or do thermostatic mixer showers not care ?

The bath and sink are producing hot and cold fine in their mixer taps.

My concern is that as the fitter re-used our shower (which did work fine before!) he has either broke it or it's failed somehow and will not help now the job's been paid. :confused:

The only other thing I've noted is that the pressure indicator on the boiler looks low. Not sure if this is irrelevant and this gauge only applies to central heating?

Help appreciated as I will call him tomorrow and would like to know some more background first.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Is it possible that the pipes are now connected the wrong sides, or do thermostatic mixer showers not care ?

yes its possible

yes thermo mixers do care

has the boiler just been fitted or was it existing :?:

has the boiler just been fitted or was it existing :?:

Thanks for the speedy reply!

the boiler is existing.
New install in Oct 08 with no problems.

Worked with the shower fine before - masses of pressure and readily controllable.

Originally the shower was installed on a little stud wall. This was all taken out and plumbing re-done from under floor up the wall.

It did used to have a power shower pump driving it in the previous days when it was on its old antiquated boiler and hot water tank.
When the combi was put in, this was all disconnected and a 'special valve' put in ?.... from recollection of discussion with plumber at the time.

When the combi was put in, this was all disconnected and a 'special valve' put in ?.... from recollection of discussion with plumber at the time.

thats what i was wondering about

prob got the pipes crossed

might need the filters checking as well

hardly a major fault ;)

Sponsored Links

thats what i was wondering about

prob got the pipes crossed

might need the filters checking as well

hardly a major fault ;)

the pipework is copper and chased into the wall - if these pipes need swapping over, can these be swapped under the floor? (I guess the alternative would be taking tiles off :eek: )

Also, what is this 'special valve' - does it restrict flow of the hot or cold?

Sorry for all the Qs!

you change the cartridge to a high pressure one

if the pipes are chased in it might be possible to cross them somewhere else

that valve look familiar

you might be able to turn the valve and have the outlet at the top

all conjecture btw i can't see the job ;)

prob easiest thing to do is turn the shower upside down

I'd noticed the blanking plate on the top and wondered if this was possible.

If it is swapped over, does the temp control part usually fit separately, i.e. it can be kept upward facing?

And also is it usually possible to swap the pipe over (the one to the shower head), so that it can be kept underneath and therefore neater?

what make / model is the mixer ??

as you may have gathered don't do a lot of showers ;)

You do more than me tho!

It was in the house when I moved in. It says Mira Excel on the front, that's all I can see.

Had a quick google, and found the following (which looks v similar)
http://help.tradingdepot.co.uk/bathrooms/mira/mira-excel.pdf

P32 seems to show reverse inlet conditions are achievable. Maybe I'll print a copy off for the fitter, assuming he comes back! ;)

This is really easy to change. You can simply take the cartridge out and rotate it the other way round for the inlets to be correct. It's only four screws. Just make sure you turn the water off first though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back