Thermostatic valves on all radiators ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have thermostatic valves on all but one radiator, the one in the dowstairs hall which also has a room stat. I was told it was necesary to leave one Rad without a valve but I'm wondering if this is true and we have a hot hall which is just wasting heat.

Is it possible to put thermo valves on all Rads, remove the room stat, and fit an automated byepass valve instead? (I have a Vaillant EcoTec plus system boiler, which I believe includes a bypass valve, heating Rads and vented HW tank).

If so, can anyone point me in the right direction for design of installation of the bypass valve.

Thanks

Mid

Sponsored Links
Like I've said in previous posts, I'm no expert, but a stat without a TRV in that room is most common, so it has to be the best way to installing systems.

If your hall if getting too much heat and turning the stat down does nothing, turn the lockshields down.

What you've got is the correct way of installing the stat and TRV's.

When the hall gets to the temp set on the stat, the stat will turn off all the rads, so the hall won't/shouldn't get overheated if the rads have been sized correctly.

It is a learning curve for you to find the optimum setting for the stat so the other rooms get to the required temp and the TRV's shut down each individual radiator.

The problem I have is that heating the hall is a waste of energy, at most we briefly walk through it so all I want to do is take the chill off.

As far as I can see teh reason for leaving one radiator without a valve is to ensure thepumped water has somewhere to go if all valves shut down. Wouldn't a byepass valve do the ame job. In which case doesn't it follow that if you have valves on all radiators you don't need a romstat?

Sponsored Links
You need a roomstat to comply with Part L regulations. This then forms part of what is called the 'boiler interlock'.

When the room stat clicks off it prevents the boiler from firing just to keep itself warm, as it would with all TRV's and no stat.

The best thing you could do would be to fit a TRV to the hall and remove one in the lounge, fitting the room stat in there.

customers are now insisting that i dont put stats in the hall and that they go in the lounge ( where they spend most of the time) so no trvs in the lounge..

I thought a thermostat in the lounge was the answer but then realised we have a log burning stove in there which is used most evenings, so that wouldn't work either.

We currently use the hall thermostat as an on/off switch, the nature of our house means we will never afford to have the whole house heated to a constant temperature. We tend to turn the heating on until the rads,or certain rooms, are warm enough and then turn it off again which is why it pains me to heat the hall as all the heat ends up being wasted. Quite frankly I don't want any room left with an uncontrolled radiator which brings me back to wanting stats on all rads.

If I keep a room stat in the hall (as an on/off switch) and put thermostatic valves on all rads, what do I need to do to protect the system against all rads closing down ?

Or would this contravene some regulation :confused:

Thanks

Mid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back