thermostatic valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. We had a new heating system installed and had thermostatic valves in all rooms. They all seemed to work perfect and when you lowered the values the heat seemed to work with a good flow and kept the room warm or a long period of time. Recently I have noticed problems with them. If you turn the valves on they seems to just heat up and then cut-off and then do not turn back on. For example if you leave the valves at 4, it heats up and then cuts off and does not turn on again unless I turn it off and back on to 4. This never happened before and now I could leave it on for a an hour and it does not come back on. Even when the house is very cold…. And it’s a old house its always cold! They seem to say on longer and work better the less radiations you have on, and if there is only one it seems to stay on longer. I seem to recall this issue started when we had a bathroom refit and new radiator installed which is not on a thermostatic valve. Is that just a coincidence? Does anyone have any suggestions what the issue might be? Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Turn the bathroom radiator (towel rail?) off and see if they work as before.

Check pins under the TRV heads are free to move and not stuck.

Thanks for your comments guys. I will take a look the bathroom radiator. It does not have a thermostatic valve, there are no numbers on it just an angled value with 4 small handles if you see what I mean. On the opposite side there is the same valve, so as they look the same I’m not sure which is the lock shield are you able to please help me with that? The bathroom radiator is fine and seems to heat up ok, but it’s the other upstairs radiators I’m having an issue with. The other radiators upstairs have got thermo values and separate lock shields, so do I need to check if these are all balanced? Many thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments guys. I will take a look the bathroom radiator. It does not have a thermostatic valve, there are no numbers on it just an angled value with 4 small handles if you see what I mean. On the opposite side there is the same valve, so as they look the same I’m not sure which is the lock shield are you able to please help me with that? The bathroom radiator is fine and seems to heat up ok, but it’s the other upstairs radiators I’m having an issue with. The other radiators upstairs have got thermo values and separate lock shields, so do I need to check if these are all balanced? Many thanks for your help!

Just turn off bath rad 1st...one or the other valve... Doesn't matter at this time.

Hi there. We had a new heating system installed and had thermostatic valves in all rooms. They all seemed to work perfect and when you lowered the values the heat seemed to work with a good flow and kept the room warm or a long period of time. Recently I have noticed problems with them. If you turn the valves on they seems to just heat up and then cut-off and then do not turn back on. For example if you leave the valves at 4, it heats up and then cuts off and does not turn on again unless I turn it off and back on to 4. This never happened before and now I could leave it on for a an hour and it does not come back on. Even when the house is very cold…. And it’s a old house its always cold! They seem to say on longer and work better the less radiations you have on, and if there is only one it seems to stay on longer. I seem to recall this issue started when we had a bathroom refit and new radiator installed which is not on a thermostatic valve. Is that just a coincidence? Does anyone have any suggestions what the issue might be? Many thanks!!
Are they the traditional self-contained valves, or the more modern "smart" type?

Thanks for all the advise. I tried your suggestions and this is what happpend

1) I balanced upstairs and downstairs rads, then turned off both valves in the bathroom. I then turn on all the other rads upstairs and set the thero valves to 4 and turned off the rads downstairs. I ran the boiler for an hour and rads upstairs stayed warm all the time. This is how I would expect them to work, Which is great

2) I then turned off the boiler for a while and the turned it back on and fully opened both valves on the rad in the bathroom. The upstairs rads heated up but cut off after about 30mins and did not heat back up again even through I left the boiler on for another 30 mins and these rads had the thero valves set at 4. however the bathroom rad was fully working all this time. I left the boiler on and then turned off both valves on the bathroom rad. The other rads upstairs did not heat up for and then after 30mins the back bedroom rad and front bedroom rad heated up but not the 2 middle bedrooms! The only way to get these other rads to kick back in is to turn the thermo valve up a noch. I can not understand why they cut out for me to have to increase them to work again.

3) I then started again and turned both bathroom rad valves half way , bit again the upstairs rads cut off after a while and then only the front and back bedroom ones kicked in after a while

does anyone please have any advise on why they cut-off and not kick back in when the bathroom rad is on?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back