These photos show eaves tray? Sorry photos inserted now!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - had a new roof installed 2 months ago but I see the membrane/underlay coming through underneath the end tiles slightly into gutter at points where the membrane has been left longer. In some parts the bit of underlay beyond the last tile are shorter and in some parts there isn't any underlying coming through at all. I've now realised (too late! :cry: ) that the builders are not the most clued up. I'm really worried they did not install eaves tray - is that something you can see with the eye?
Can you tell if there are eaves tray installed from the photos?

Also I read that the membrane deteriorates in the sun and should not be exposed - is it OK if I cut away the membrane that is showing?

MANY THANKS AS ALWAYS! Gemma[/b]

Sponsored Links
Doesn't look to be an eaves tray. There should be a hard plastic angled sheet if you have. They may have used a 300mm damp course, which looks like a flexible piece of plastic as an alternative to a tray also.

There should be underlay support trays or at least 5U eaves sheet installed, looking at that photo I can't see any. If you look up between the fascia and the gutter and can see the felt then you have not got either.

It is true that the felt may deteriorate over time but it will be quite a loooong time but do not cut the felt back unless you can specifically confirm trays or 5U is there or get support trays installed.

I checked and there is no eaves tray. There is a roof section that is slightly lower and I managed to climb and reach the gutter there.

With no eaves tray, is it something I need to get fitted asap? If so is it an easy job? Could it be costly as it'll be doing the whole house?

With the breathable membrane when you say it takes a LONG time to deteriorate are we talking 10+years?

THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE's help!!!

Sponsored Links
The felt will never really rot but it does tend to curl up. I always use 450mm DPC at eaves, then felt to the fascia. Eaves trays are crap.

Eave trays are both inexpensive and easy to fit if installed when getting re-roofed.

Retrospective installation however is a lot more difficult due to having to remove the bottom course of tiles fit the trays and retile without a scaffold.

Here is a photo of an eaves tray I installed earlier this year, along with a new fascia, bird comb and 10mm vent.

They are too difficult to install once the first course of tiles are removed, but they are not essential, plenty of roofs don't have them.

Phew - that's comforting to know they are not essential.
Sorry Daniel - did you say they are too difficult to install once first course of tiles are removed?

It's just very frustrating cos it's a brand new roof so would like to start off with everything done right - I can't believe I trusted the ignorant/lazy builders enough to not check sooner :cry:
So in your opinion, rather than fork out more money to get eaves tray put in, you think I should just leave it?

THANK YOU EVERY SO MUCH DANIEL. Much much appreciated - the photo really helps explain everything.

Sorry, missed a word, they are *not* too difficult to install when the tiles are removed.

Just slide em in under the existing felt and tack them down.

Not every roof has these trays, most don't. Lot's of roofers use normal felt overhanging into the gutter.

I wouldn't be losing any sleep over this anyway, not a major issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back