Eaves felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I live in a semi detached house.
I had water coming in through bathroom window frame. I lifted eaves tiles and noticed most of the sarking has rotted away causing pooling.
I plan to cut back sarking and fix membrane under the existing felt from gable end upto start of neighbours roof
tiles and insert the plastic eaves tray.
My only concern is fixing down the felt at neighbours side. How do I go about it. Do underlay approximately 4 inch under his felt. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont do anything to the neighbour's roof unless you have their permission.
This might be one of those jobs where you perhaps should work out a joint effort - chances are that if you have leaking then they do too if the roof covering is the same.

Hi Vinn
Thanks for reply.
Your correct there felt at the eaves are the same, but they have no leaks yet. I'm not going to touch there tiles I'm just going to remove the first row of my tiles and stop just before there's and hopefully all will be fine.
Best regards

You really need to replace the first layer of felt, so thats normally a few rows of tiles up the roof, not just the first row of tiles. You will need to take several tiles up on the neighbours side so that you can spring up the tile battens - at least 600mm normally.

Cut the existing felt on the second rafter in from the partywall on your side, nail it, and then lap your new felt to the first rafter on the neighbours side.

The plastic eaves tray should be carefully slid under the neighbours felt onto the second rafter in on their side.

You need to be careful with this type of work as it increases the risk of not just causing water to go sideways enough to cause a new leak, but to also make an existing leak (even an unnoticed one) at little worse.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info Woody but I'm not sure what you mean about cutting on my side. Am I cutting felt vertically on rafter so I can feed my membrane under existing felt to neigbours side onto there rafter or am I nailing new membrane over there felt onto there side.
Best Regards

Here's the nearest photo I have

foto_no_exif (6).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back