Eaves Felt (or not eaves felt, that is the question)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to this website, and the kind souls who give time and advice based on professional (or expert amateur) experience, I have learnt a great deal.

However, I have not been able to find an answer to my latest query, so I will have to trouble someone on here.

I am renewing the fascia boards and soffits. Anticipating renewal of the eaves felt, I bought some (the proper 5U stuff). However, having lifted the eaves course, and first and second course of tiles, I have been wondering what to do, because there wasn't any eaves felt to replace.

The house was built in 1939, so there was no sarking felt, or other such membrane - only tall (almost overlapping) battens.

Because the new fascia boards are uPVC, there is no fear of them rotting due to leaks through damaged eaves felt, and the lowest course of tiles protrudes well into the middle of the guttering.

I have tried to think through the pros and cons of putting the eaves felt on, but can only conclude that it would be an almost pointless exercise to do so, and I should just take the unused felt back for a refund.

Apologies for such a long post, but I have seen threads where the experts have to try and get sufficient info to be able to advise appropriately, so I have tried to put enough so that it boils down to:

...Should I put in eaves felt when there is no other internal membrane from the eaves to the ridge of the roof?

Sponsored Links
no need ;) sounds like you`ve got feathered edge boards as battens so virtual sarking boards :idea:

Wow, brilliant :D .

Thanks to you both: "alastairreid" and "Nige F" (in this reply, and the "clickable" type)

(Feathered edge, yes, spot on, now that I think about it.)

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you do not have felt on the rest of your roof and have experienced no problems in that area before then it seems redundant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back