Advice needed/ being too picky?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had a few issues with my roof fixed. Overall I'm very happy with the work apart from one thing. Without explaining why, I had a small strip of felt replaced at the eaves at the front of the house. Instead of replacing the full width they removed one row of tiles and fitted a strip of breathable membrane of about 13 inches wide under the existing felt and lapped it into the gutter.

The issues I have with this are:

1) They didn't remove the tile at either edge so the new strip doesn't go all the way to the edges. I have checked this with my ladders. I am worried about wind blown rain under the arches of the first/last double roman tile and also if I have a leak the water will not reach the gutter.

2) The strip is installed upside down, the printed side is visible in the loft. I can see the manufacturer's name it's Sandtoft VPM Classic. So my worry here is that it's not waterproof this way round. (The vapour permeability is irrelevant, the rest of the roof is felt).

3) Lapping the membrane into the gutter is not right. It will eventually deteriorate but it seems a very common thing that roofers do.

For me a far better solution would be support trays. Maybe these could even be slid into position without removing the tile at either edge? But is there some disadvantage of support trays that puts roofers off using them?

So should I try and get them back or am I being too picky?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We had Gutter Trays fitted this year, this would have been a far better solution for your roof?.

Can't see why they wouldn't have fitted them if they had the tiles off anyway?.

41UUUVMHzbL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Thanks, you are right, but maybe it's too late now anyway, it could be the original felt has been cut back too much? Does it have to reach near the front of the tray?

Sponsored Links
I'm not a roofer but hopefully they haven't cut back the original felt and just slid the new felt under the existing.

We had two rows of tiles removed when he fitted the trays. Don't think they can be slid under but could be wrong.

Is it worth asking who did your roof if they could fit the trays?. Can see it being FOC but may be worth paying for peace of mind.

Lapping the membrane into the gutter is not right. It will eventually deteriorate but it seems a very common thing that roofers do.

No, proper roofers dont, but you have not had proper roofers by the looks of this, the upside down membrane (LOL, I mean they even put the writing on in big letters to prevent this) the lazy failure to remove all the tiles, and the lack of support trays.

I would suggest going back to the 'roofers' and express your concerns and quoting the comments people on here have made regarding the eaves felt support trays. (easier said than done of course :!:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back