Thick laminate and hollow door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting thick laminate in the bathroom this weekend. Forgot about the door.
Its a hollow cheap door so I guess Im limited in how much I can saw off the bottom? Is 1 inch about right - if so I 'might' be OK.

Any way around this? Is there any way to remove the bottom bit completely, saw the frame bit, then somehow put this bit back in?

I'm guessing having no bottom bit with just a hole/hollow gap would be not good?

Other alternative I guess is new solid door but, of course thats a lot of hassle.

Sponsored Links
I have done it in the past and just glued the bottom insert back into the door.

Sponsored Links
Hang on....if the door fitted OK before, and now you need to take off an inch, that suggests the new laminate floor is over an inch thick.....have you laid it right?!?

Hang on....if the door fitted OK before, and now you need to take off an inch, that suggests the new laminate floor is over an inch thick.....have you laid it right?!?

Not laid it yet but its not as thick as I though. I think we'll be ok.

dont forget you need around 12mm gap under the doorv to allow the extractor to work efficiently

Thin doors have a 20mm timber in the bottom, best to cut this off completely , plane off door panel to the offcut and glue it back in bottom of door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back