Thick skirting over a wooden decorated wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to put laminate floor in a room which has half of the walls decorated with some kind of wood. At the bottom, matching skirting boards have been glued to the wall.

How can I take off these skirting boards and then re-fit after putting the floor? I have also enclosed images of the skirting board.

Thanks
N

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome grovern :D :D :D

thats architrave for going round doors
its held on with no nails the best solution would be to cut through the boards at the top off the moulding and remove
lay your floor to the wall then add a larger profile with packing pieces as required
just make sure there are no services behind the cladding for you to cut

Hi big-all,

Thanks for the quick reply. This skirting I showed is all over the room and not just near the door. It is only 6.5 cm high. If I was to cut 8-10 mm to get the laminate under it, will anything be left?

Thanks for persisting with me, this is my first time.

Cheers
N

Is it an option to remove the scotia? (Must agree with big-all, it looks more like architrave used as scotia).

Looking at your pictures it has been installed horrible with splashes of adhesive showing on the tops.

Sponsored Links
Cutting through is one option but I would be trying a good old hammer and chisel first.

Place a flat bladed scraper against the cladding so that the chisel doesn't damage it then put the chisel against it and start banging. If you are lucky then the adhesive used will be one of the cheaper versions and will crack and break away. This method could cause some damage to the 'skirting' so be prepared to change but hopefully it will come away easily and be reusable. Any minor damage to the bottom of the cladding will be covered as the skirting will be slightly higher when sat on top of the laminate floor but if it starts to split or loosen then revert to the cutting away method.

if you do go the separating route make sure the chisel/scraper bridges the join between planks where possible to save breaking the txg edge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back