thickness of layers in solid floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

i'm looking to dig up and re lay my kitchen floor while renovating the house and assessing options and costs at the min.

i know the layers are as followed

sub base, sand, concrete slab, dpm, insulation, UFH, screed.

but can anyone tell me what depths the sub base, sand and slab should be as i cant find anything around the thickness of each.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sub-base depends on your ground conditions but generally min. 150mm.

The sand is usually intended as a blinding layer to prevent puncture of the dpm (which is next) and so doesn't really have a thickness, just level with the top of the hardcore.

Then usually insulation (100mm?)
Then (as recommnded by Kingspan but which most people don't bother about) a separation layer of polythene;
Then concrete slab (100mm?)
Then UFH then screed.

Then usually insulation (100mm?)
Then (as recommnded by Kingspan but which most people don't bother about) a separation layer of polythene;
Then concrete slab (100mm?)
Then UFH then screed.
I would recommend that if the O.P. is using UFH then the insulation is better sited directly beneath the screed.

We always tape the joints on our inso' as opposed to adding another layer of polythene. Unless it is raining! :p

thanks for the responses guys, so looking at about 400mm in total.

yes i'll be using water fed UFH, so from what you've said put the insulation under the underfloor, and the inital concrete slab directly over the DP

Sponsored Links
This really depends on the ground condition. I suggest that you better check if there's underground water because it can save you time and money.

may be a daft question but how would knowing if there is underground water assist? surely the make up of the floor would be the same.

ban all sheds- seen similar and have been thinking about either this or polished concrete- only prob is cost with these.

thanks for all the advise guys, i'm on a stupidly tight budget so thinking of laying it myself if i can.

couple of other thoughts that cropped up
1:do you need to reinforce the main 100mm slab wiht steel?
2: for the main 100mm slab i'm assuming you need to leave an expansion gap around the edge- is that right?

thanks again

may be a daft question but how would knowing if there is underground water assist? surely the make up of the floor would be the same.
If you read any of zarrahtracey's posts you will see that they rarely make any sense or add anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back