Thin Floating Chipboard Floor vs battened (and associated sub floor Questions)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all, have searched the forums and found plenty of useful threads, but nothing that quite gives me an answer to my scenario.

I'm mid renovation project, and installing retrofit wet underfloor heating (overlay system). The majority of the house is suspended timber, which is being insulated. However there is a box extension on the rear of the property (2.6m by 3.6m internal) which is about 35mm screed over concrete (unknown thickness) base. The extension was done in the late 80's so I'm doubtful of any insulation in there!

Given the UFH, I'm loathed to lay it directly onto an uninsulated floor, as such my options are appear to be the following:

1) lift the ~35mm screed (as that shouldn't be too hard to lift), lay some very thin insulation (circa 20mm), 18mm chipboard floor onto insulation, live with a 3mm step to suspended timber floor
2) as above, but using timber battens.
3) Bite the bullet and accept I'll need to removed the lot, concrete and all, and accept it's going to take a lot more effort and cost than I'd originally planned
4) Leave as is, and accept a big heatloss through that section of floor

A floating floor (no timber battens) would be nice, but it feels so thin that it could easily be bouncey/boomy (I have no actual experience of this, just gut instincts)... if I were to batten it.. would I (could I) attach battens to concrete sub floor, then attach chipboard to the battens for 'firmness'/solidness... concrete floor has DPC, would you add another layer anywhere in the above?

Many thanks in advance guys, appreciate your thoughts/experience!

Sponsored Links
20mm of insulation is not enough, unless perhaps you use vacuum insulation panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back