Thin floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I want to repair and improve my garage which currently has a concrete subfloor, plastic sheet dpm and 2 inches of screed. It's only used for storage, no cars.

Just a quick job and it's crucial not to bring the height up much at all.

I was thinking another plastic dpm, kingspan, chipboard, then whatever flooring i go for.

Is 25mm of kingspan worth doing or is it just too thin to make a difference?

I don't mind if it's a cold floor but if 25mm makes a difference I can stick some down.

Cheers,
Carl.

Sponsored Links
I am pretty sure a garage can have an insulated floor as you describe. It might be against regs if you have a door to the garage from your house as you need to step down 100mm to it (fire risk requirement). If you can't keep that distance then maybe you want to apply for a planning permission to convert if you don't want to keep the garage. Then you'll comply with the regs.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a good plan. You'll make an improvement (take the chill off the floor), the garage will still be complying with the regs (step down) and you can still add more insulation for if it ever gets converted to comply with the regs then as well.
Nothing worse than freezing toes... :) Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back