Thin horizontal crack in rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has a thin crack in rendering - see photo. Our neighbouring houses have similar and one neighbour, who is a builder and who has lived in house for over 20 years, says to just fill as tend to reappear. Had a couple of plasterer out - one says he'd rake out either side, bond and then fill/skim; the other says would use newish tape which is flexible and then skim. Not sure what to do. Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 937
Sponsored Links
Get a few better pictures up as we cant see much detail on that one...

That side of the house has a narrow pathway next it, so am taking photo from front. I'll try later when sun further around back. It isn't a wide crack but as that side of house gets very little sun, it seems to have a brown substance on it. We just don't know which way to go when given different options.

As above, definitely need new photos.
What material is the render - the builder neighbour should know?
Is there external insulation below the render?
Just a thought: Horizontal cracks like yours are sometimes the result of the rusting and expansion of the wall ties in the same bed.
The gable construction seems to have a couple of odd details such as the "whatever it is" below the gutter?

Sponsored Links
The thing under the gable was a couple of pipes - overflow? Neighbour has them also. Not sure what render is; don't think there's external insulation - it has cavity wall insulation. I'll see if husband can get a better photo later.

You wont have external insulation with cav insulation.
Was the cav insulation retro-installed ie pumped in?
Does that gable wall have any damp or condensation signs?

I think the house was built and insulation put in at that point, it's a foam/ polystyrene type of material. There's no sign of damp internally or externally.

I know what the higher up pipe stubs are, I'm asking what is the black thing below the gutter?
Has anyone been in the loft and examined the gable wall from inside - it might reveal something?
"Foam/polystyrene is a retro-cavity injection thats pumped in as beads.
Its definitely not the original cav insulation which would have been in batts - thats if it was actually installed during new build.
I thought you were providing new photos?

The black thing below the gutter is part of our protruding garage roof, as the side of the roof would have overhung the neighbour's air space we had to have a 'secret' gutter. I'll ask husband again to take couple of better photos.

This is the best photo I can get due to the closeness of next door. Hopefully it gives more info.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    671.6 KB · Views: 435
No, the image takes me no further. However, it does show what looks like a vertical crack on the RH side of the horizontal crack.
I cant advise you further but perhaps do as the neighbouring builder says about filling with a sealant eg. an acrylic sealant is paintable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back