Things you didn't know and probably don't care about

A sperm. Whale is capable of diving to. A depth of 1. 2 miles

Before a deep dive, a sperm whale takes a breath (obviously). This makes it more buoyant, which is not good for diving. However, with a flick of its tail, it dives deep enough for the pressure to squash its lungs enough to make it negatively buoyant. It therefore sinks, taking little effort to dive to such depths.

Sponsored Links
Sperm whales (and all toothed whales),
only have one blowhole/nostril (the left one) connected to the outside air
(when on surface).

Their other (right) nostril ends at sealed sound producing sacks.
They have no connection to their lungs via their throat/mouth.

Hence a snotty cold blocking their single blowhole can kill them through suffocation.
sfk

Last edited:
An interesting fact was discussed yesterday on R4 - CO2 gas concentrations is now higher than it has been during human history - not this high since around 3,000,000 years ago. Greenhouse gas concentrations are rising faster than predicted. Floods becoming more common in many parts of the world.

"The last time the Earth had comparable concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was approximately 3 million years ago, when the temperature was approximately 3 degrees Celsius (5.4 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer and sea levels were up to 20 meters (65 feet) higher."
https://www.cnet.com/news/carbon-dioxide-levels-reach-highest-recorded-levels-in-human-history/

The last time CO2 levels were as they are now, sea level was 15-20m higher (it takes time to rise ...)
I might soon be living by the seaside!
Oh I do like to be beside the sea side, I do like to be beside the sea ...

wet.png

Think someone is a bit common if they pronounce moët et chandon as mow it et Chandon, well don't be, they're correct.

Mr Moët was Dutch, not French and the t is pronounced.

Any other useless facts you care to share (no brexit related rubbish please)

I cannot be arrsed to read any other responses, so apologies it this has been corrected. Moet WAS French, born in 1683 in Champagne. None the less, Moet IS a Dutch name, so "MO ETT" IS, apparently, the correct pronunciation

Sponsored Links
I cannot be arrsed to read any other responses, so apologies it this has been corrected. Moet WAS French, born in 1683 in Champagne. None the less, Moet IS a Dutch name, so "MO ETT" IS, apparently, the correct pronunciation

Do we - or should we - pronounce all foreign words the way the foreign language speaker does?

We don't even all pronounce English words the same.

Many years ago when I was in my 20's a friend asked me to come and listen to his immersion heater as it seemed to be bubbling.
Oh it was bubbling alright! Someone had replaced the element earlier that day and had by-passed the thermostat so he effectively had a sealed kettle coming to the boil!

That type of scenario caused the death of a child a good while back

Think it was after that that they made over heat stats on immersions a standard?

The maximum speed of a non-foiling, or planing boat (e.g. a sailing boat) is not determined by the power of the engine but by its length.

i.e. putting a 400hp motor on a 40ft sailing boat won't make it go particularly faster than the same boat with a 40hp motor. Both wont go much faster than about 8-10kts.

The maximum speed of a non-foiling, or planing boat (e.g. a sailing boat) is not determined by the power of the engine but by its length.

i.e. putting a 400hp motor on a 40ft sailing boat won't make it go particularly faster than the same boat with a 40hp motor. Both wont go much faster than about 8-10kts.
Some yachts go way faster than that..with no engine.

not without foils / planing. If it has a keel in the water it ain't gonna move quick.

SailGP, AC45, AC70 even moths achieve their speed by foiling.

1,000 water bears crash-landed on the moon onboard an Israeli spacecraft earlier this year.

The water bear is the toughest creature on Earth

And they are probably living on your roof

Sponsored Links
Back