think my PC is (sort of randomly) tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Legrand CU with one RCD (80Amp – 30mA) covering 3 groups of sockets , plus garage and shower room so 5 mcbs in total . Tripping of RCD is sort of random ..in that most commonly occurring once between 4 a.m and 6 a.m. ..sometimes twice (i.e. again typically an hour or so after a manual reset..but no real pattern to a second trip if there is one..except it's not within minutes...even 30 minutes).

None of the 5 mcbs trip when the RCD does. To reset the RCD I have to manually switch off all 5 mcbs before the RCD will "hold". It resets ok and typically the fault does not recur until perhaps early the next morning (next day that is).

I have removed all but one portable extension boards that have surge protection...throughout the house...and certainly in mcb zone 2 which covers the "office" and TV room. That doesn't appear to make any difference. Ditto running my PC direct from mains socket as opposed to via a UPS.

However, after months of trial and error I am fairly sure the problem lies with my (2012 Packard Bell iMedia S1800) PC. Quite simply the tripping has so far only ever occurred when it is left on overnight. When I make a point of shutting it down before going to bed it has never happened. When visitors used the house for a week while we were away I switched off the PC & pulled the plug(S)..closing off the office where it sits..there were no trips that whole week. The RCD rarely trips during the day...but has done ..some 3 or 4 times over the last 6 months.
Could a single PC be the culprit ( I think it is) and if so is it most likely to be a dodgy connection to the PSU? Is there any test I can do on the PC apart from a visual inspection while unplugged.

If the PC is left running overnight (downloading iPlayer programmes usually on a slow rural 1 meg-internet profile) then there is a good chance the RCD will trip once in the small hours. Of course I can ensure the PC is switched off every night..and from my experience so far that stops the tripping. However, I 'd really like to be able to download stuff at night without having to get up to reset the RCD once or even twice.
EDIT - forgot to say I have used 3 or 4 different leads & checked the plugs on each..plus used different sockets to feed the PC..albeit only using extension leads from sockets in the same mcb zone.
Any thoughts?
Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Could a single PC be the culprit ( I think it is) and if so is it most likely to be a dodgy connection to the PSU? Is there any test I can do on the PC apart from a visual inspection while unplugged.
Yes, any single item can cause such problems.
There is no test that can be done which does not involve dismantling the power supply and spending far more than a new one would cost.

The solution is to replace the power supply in the PC, which will be cheap and easy to do.

thanks flameport..I will probably do that. Just wonder why (if it is the PC like I think)it doesn't do it in the day? It's been on all day today since 10am..no problem. Why the wee small hours I wonder?

Voltage probably climbs due to low load overnight, causing increased leakage through the filter capacitors.

Sponsored Links
You said that you removed all-but-one of the surge-protected extension leads. What is the one remaining one doing, and is there a reason why you haven't tried removing that one as well?

Kind Regards, John

Hi JohnW2..it's one of those convert a socket to 4 jobs that plugs direct into the socket with no cable as such. It's in the kitchen & usually has a lamp, laptop, and phone chargers in it...no real reason it's not been removed ..as you suggest daft not to really.. so I'll remove it tonight and leave the PC in the office on..just to see.

If I have no trip I'll be surprised..but delighted..and if that repeats itself over several nights I'll think we've cracked it. Whatever happens I'll report back for any other poor soul that's being tormented by this. We have lived here for decades..the PC (a 2012 model I think ..second hand from a friend ) has only been in use for about a year..roughly the same sort of time we've experienced the trips.

Because we have had hardly any trips in the waking hours when the PC is normally on I didn't think it would be the culprit..& was looking at fridges/freezers/stuff with timers/boiler blah blah. Latterly I came across articles re SurgePUs and UniversalPSs..and removed those..I'll remove the last one tonight.

Hi JohnW2..it's one of those convert a socket to 4 jobs that plugs direct into the socket with no cable as such. It's in the kitchen & usually has a lamp, laptop, and phone chargers in it...no real reason it's not been removed ..as you suggest daft not to really.. so I'll remove it tonight and leave the PC in the office on..just to see.
Indeed - it's probably nothing to do with the problem, but it would seem silly not to try before you rip the PSU out of your PC!

Kind Regards, John

Is there any test I can do on the PC apart from a visual inspection while unplugged.
Not a conclusive one.

You could perform earth leakage and/or insulation resistance tests with a PAT tester but if the fault is intermittant then these may not show it up.

>JohnW/anyone interested..

crazily enough..as I said yesterday I removed the very last surge-protector "board" in the house..(in a different mcb zone to the area I thought/think is the problem area) after JohnW's post. It is one of those Aldi jobs which plugs into 1 side of a double socket and makes 4 new sockets.

Guess what..left PC on overnight..NO TRIPS..will replicate situation tonight..coincidence or what?

>JohnW/anyone interested.. crazily enough..as I said yesterday I removed the very last surge-protector "board" in the house..(in a different mcb zone to the area I thought/think is the problem area) after JohnW's post. It is one of those Aldi jobs which plugs into 1 side of a double socket and makes 4 new sockets. ... Guess what..left PC on overnight..NO TRIPS..will replicate situation tonight..coincidence or what?
Only time will tell - but, as I said, it would probably have been foolish not to try that before ripping the PSU out of your PC (possibly to no avail)!

Keep us posted!!

Kind Regards, John

left things exactly the same as Sunday night. Monday night also comes & goes..no trips..cracked it I think. Same procedure before going to bed on Tuesday evening. Wednesday 3-5 am (typically when trips happen) has gone..its 7.31 now..& no trips..

...then it tripped!

Reset all as usual..left PC on last evening..no trips last night/this a.m.

Driving me nuts this. Next step before swapping out the psu in my (newish) PC..I'll disconnect that PC and leave an old PC running in its place..see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back