Thinnest Fireboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi anyone, I have a multifuel stove installed. There is a 5 cm gap between the back and the wall behind. I'm wondering if there is some kind of really thin board I could stick to the wall behind to offer it some increased protection form the heat. Obviousy space is quite limited. I have loked around the web but am a bit confused by the options. Also, it would need to be paintable. Any pointers apprecaited, cheers, Rod

Sponsored Links
That's a very small gap. Your stove needs lots of space around it so that the walls aren't just heated up.

What's the construction behind the stove? I doubt a thin sheet of metal will do anything to protect it. Depending on what's there it may not need the protection anyway -- I think your biggest issue is creating more space.

Has the stove been fitted by an approved installer and signed of or self fit? Protection from heat should have been factored in at the design stage not after fitting. If the wall is too hot the wrong stove has been fitted or fitted closer than specified by the manufacturer?
Its not much good fixing metal or fireboard directly to the wall it should be spaced off it to create another air gap but looks like you dont have much space to play with

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As said the best solution is to create a bigger gap. The hearth would then presumably need extending outwards. Can you use an offset flue pipe? Sticking fireboard up isn’t good.

The gap at the back of my stove is 6” but at the sides only 3” (as I didn’t widen the builder’s opening). As a result the walls at the sides get quite hot and I have to use two stove-top fans to pull the heat up.

If your walls are entirely non-combustible and there was a fire there before it’s more an efficiency issue than safety.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back