Third party certification for Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I go about finding someone that can do the “third party certification” as defined in the new version of Part P?

E.g. what body and qualification should the electrician have so I can use them instead of having to use my local council building control?

Sponsored Links
There are no 3rd-party certifier schemes in operation yet.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...mes-for-electrical-installations-in-dwellings

And the last time this was discussed here there was a great deal of sentiment that even if there were, not many electricians would be interested.

The whole idea may turn out to be a chimera, but even if it does get off the ground, it's not even on the runway yet, so if you have an immediate or even short-term need, it's not an option for you.

Thanks,

I don’t wish to have to get an electrician on put in a consumer unit with one socket on each circuit close to the consumer unit, and then extend all circuits myself as it is rather keeping to the letter of the law for the sake of it! However as my local building control charges over £500 to inspect a rewire it’s an option I may have to consider.

I don’t wish to have to get an electrician on put in a consumer unit with one socket on each circuit close to the consumer unit, and then extend all circuits myself as it is rather keeping to the letter of the law for the sake of it!
That's assuming, of course, that you could find a self-certifying electrician who was prepared to do that. However, I sympathise with what you're saying.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don’t wish to have to get an electrician on put in a consumer unit with one socket on each circuit close to the consumer unit, and then extend all circuits myself as it is rather keeping to the letter of the law for the sake of it!
Then have an electrician do all of it.

However as my local building control charges over £500 to inspect a rewire it’s an option I may have to consider.
If you do that, who will ensure that the design is correct, and that it's all installed properly?

Who is going to do all of the testing, which needs to be done whether you notify or not?

Who is going to sign the EIC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back