This appears wired back to front

Sponsored Links
0717F075-1D61-4F6E-B43E-BDB9CE533F85.jpeg 5A37BCF9-AC88-4838-9E9B-695FD134E1BF.jpeg Okay just to ask why this black has a sleeve on it. It was connected to a bunch of neutrals so why the sleeve. I understand why the black with the red sleeve is a switch wire but why the other one. Have I got this right to settle my mind, power from bunch of lives down red wire to switch and back up the black wire with the red sleeve to lights
Have removed the cable that had the old switch wire connected and connected my new 3 and e cable from the new switch and the terminal blocks that fed the lights with no earths in sight removed and fitted into a jb. Will leave the power off till someone confirms this looks okay and explain that sleeve.
Thanks

Last edited:
It is heat-proof sleeving. No reason for it to be there.

Perhaps the insulation is damaged or he only had one bit.

Sponsored Links
Can I just say a big thank you to everyone for persevering with me and answering my seemingly stupid questions. Connected that last neutral back up and all the lights in the house seem to be working so I don’t know what that brown/blue cable was for will trace it tomorrow and also confirm that the old cable going to the old switch it dead just to settle my mind and cut it back as much as possible
Thanks all

View attachment 231575 View attachment 231576 Okay just to ask why this black has a sleeve on it. It was connected to a bunch of neutrals so why the sleeve. I understand why the black with the red sleeve is a switch wire but why the other one. Have I got this right to settle my mind, power from bunch of lives down red wire to switch and back up the black wire with the red sleeve to lights
Yes that is correct.
I mentioned this earlier
I'm assuming the 3 fibreglass sleeves [heat resisting EDIT: it's likely it would have originally been applied to protect the wire from the heat of an enclosed fitting] are the original wiring, as mentioned in post#9, and would have been terminated in a batten holder as L,N & E, their 2 associated reds would have been joined [probably with a ceramic wire nut] above the ceiling, as now, without sleeving.
Have you looked to see where the brown/blue cable goes yet, It feels unlikly such a new cable is not doing something.

Yes that is correct.
I mentioned this earlier
Have you looked to see where the brown/blue cable goes yet, It feels unlikly such a new cable is not doing something.
No not traced it yet my first thought that it went to the bathroom as that was refurbished a couple of years back and had new lights but no all the lights work and then I thought about it more and it was connected to the permanent live so absolutely no idea but not leaving it till I find out

No not traced it yet my first thought that it went to the bathroom as that was refurbished a couple of years back and had new lights but no all the lights work and then I thought about it more and it was connected to the permanent live so absolutely no idea but not leaving it till I find out
Fan, Shaver socket, cabinet light???

Fan, Shaver socket, cabinet light???
Well got around 3m of blue/brown then connector block wrapped in thin blue tape then back onto black/red this ends above bathroom ceiling in the eves of the roof so will need to give my knees a rest before going back in.

So appears that the new bathroom fan is not working now, never been used so didn’t bother with it when trying to figure out this extra cable, so next is take the cover off and test continuance of the cables to confirm that’s what has been done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back