This doesn't usually bother me that much ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... however last night I was watching the Graham Norton chat show. Olivia Colman was on promoting her latest film (or movie if you prefer) called Wicked Little Letters. It's based on a true story that happened in 1920s England and I think they've pretty much set the film in the same era. Note the film isn't a fantasy type affair where anything could be going on.

Cue clip of the film. Woman opens door and there's a female policewoman standing. This is historically ok as the first UK female policewoman was in 1915 with them becoming more prevalent in the 1920s. However the actor (or actress if you prefer) playing the part very obviously has dark skin. I'm not sure what ethnicity she's supposed to be in the film, in real life she's Singaporean. However when it comes to Asian/Black policewomen, the first one I can find started to serve with the Met in 1968 ... a fair bit after the 1920s.

I obviously understand dramas can be (and often are these days) flexible/fluid with history, timeframes and social constructs. However given this film is set in 1920s England, I think it's almost farcical to cast a dark-skinned actor in the role of female policewoman when this simply wouldn't have been possible at that time. I actually find this sort of thing quite insulting to the viewer. In a way, yes I understand not an important way, you could assert it's rewriting history.

Why not go the whole hog and have her drive away in a Vauxhall Viva?

I'm hoping this thread doesn't become a racist rant fest, that's not my intention in creating it. It's more the fact of dramas insulting our intelligence with things that, historically, simply couldn't have happened.

Sponsored Links
They were talking to Timothy Spall on Radio 2 this morning about the film, sounds worth a watch.

Disney are getting some flack for this type of mis casting at the moment.

I think Bradley Cooper got a bit of flak for wearing a fake nose in his latest film.

I obviously understand dramas can be (and often are these days) flexible/fluid with history, timeframes and social constructs.
FFS don't watch Bridgerton then - plenty of high society non-white people and even the music played by orchestras at the fancy do's are songs that have been in the charts recently!

Sponsored Links
They were talking to Timothy Spall on Radio 2 this morning about the film, sounds worth a watch.

Disney are getting some flack for this type of mis casting at the moment.
Yeah the film itself looks half decent. As Olivia said on Norton's show, remember this was 1920s when it was assumed ladies hardly ever said a bad word, let alone outright sweary stuff!

The same argument can be made for Shakespeare too.

Do you want it all historically accurate, or making it more understandable.

There's an argument for both ways

You just need to watch Eastenders to see how wrong the BBC get it.

It's not hard to get it right

Leonardo da Vinci was apparently black...
But a few months ago, when the trend shifted towards eastern Europe, he was Ukrainian...
Also, Winston Churchill was black and Shakespeare was Asian...
I identify as a 3D moving video transitioning to become a polar bear...

Sponsored Links
Back