This is EXACTLY why an MOT is only valid at the time of test.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took my mates car down for an MOT for him today. The testing station will do me no favours (well, not many:whistle:), but they know me and won’t have me over. The car passed, with no problems - brakes fine, efficiency fine. They printed the ticket out and literally on my way out of the station, the brake pedal didn’t quite feel right. When I got onto the road I checked them again and there was definitely some pedal creep. Took it back to my workshop, pressed the brake hard and it dropped quicker. Looked underneath - brake fluid ****ing out at the rear! Jacked it up and checked and the pipe that went over the rear axle beam (impossible to see) had corroded and was leaking. I can only assume that during the brake test, the pipes saw pressure that they hadn’t seen since the last brake test. Luckily it was a section that went from the fuel tank area to the o/s/r flexi hose. When I undid the pipe at both ends and pulled it out, it came out in three pieces! Luckily I had some copper pipe and a flaring tool so I could make one up using the old nuts but this is exactly why the mot is valid only at the time of the test and does not guarantee anything.

9D7DB017-A24C-4945-8DEE-AA4B65608D22.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Mine failed today, as expected. Didn't know an engine management light was a fail, but hey, I told them beforehand about it, it goes off when the battery has had a bit of a charge up (only done 700 miles since May 2019) Also the screen washers again..... every .... bloody.... year. Screen washers... humpf.

Decades ago I had a car pass the MOT all OK no problems
Got in car to drive out of the garage and put LHS indicator on to turn out onto the road
Indicator bulb failed....

Sponsored Links
Mine passed today, with the 6 month extension too!

AccurateShadyFlounder-max-1mb.gif

Mind you I nearly had a heart attack at the price, including an oil change (£174).

Advisorys, rear pads and rear tyres getting low, can live with that.

Probably jinxed it now! :rolleyes:

Back