This is harrowing - The Oxford High Schoool Mass Shooter

Sponsored Links
Yeah, you could also easily get a bow and arrow, or a slingshot. Not as easy to kill 10 people and then turn it on yourself though.

FAC's are complicated. Firstly getting one. Then any gun owned needs to be shown on them and retailers can only sell to a FAC holder. Shotguns are dealt with separately with their own cartificate. There are other complications on FAC. For instance I was interested it taking up full bore shootings as it's called. These use a 7.62mm NATO round and are shot at targets up to 1,000yds, sometime further. The only place I would be able to use would have to be approved by the Home Office and that means an army range really at that range but there are others but they must be approved. Similar land usage controls can apply to all calibres. A person must have a use for the gun anyway and the gun needs to be suitable for that use.

So some FAC holders do things they shouldn't. It's rather rare really considering the numbers that are around. Same with shotguns problems seem to be more frequent with those.

There are illegal guns around but they aren't that easy to get. There have been cases of someone modifying certain things in say a shed - prison sentences are heavy when caught. The illegal ones are far more of a problem but they don't relate to guns being held legitimately.

The USA is rather different. Things are in some other countries as well. The USA seems to have more extreme problems.

Sounds like crossbows are destined for control in the near future. Misuse and criminal use.

Sub 12ft lb air rifles also have a problem that might cause more controls in England. The worst one seems to be kids shooting cats etc. No FAC needed for these so the law has been changed. There can also be problems when people do not consider what will happen if they miss.

Sponsored Links
When the right to bear arms was enshrined in the American Constitution, automatic weapons had not been invented.

well-regulated militia, is what is says

in the days before they had an army.
Yeah, but they only had muzzle loaded single shot firearms.
Would be very difficult to carry out a mass shooting with one of those.

well-regulated militia, is what is says

in the days before they had an army.

The full line being...A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

With various interpretations, as follows.......

Some state-ratified versions omitted the first or final commas, such as Maryland's

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The ratification acts from New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and South Carolina contained only one comma, but with differences in capitalization. Pennsylvania's act states:[37]

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.[38][39]

The ratification act from New Jersey has no commas:[34]

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

What i find strange is that all these mass shootings are carried out by people who have obtained their weapons legally.
There are millions of illegally held weapons in the states, yet they don't figure prominently in mass shootings.
Does that mean criminals are more sane than non criminals.

What i find strange is that all these mass shootings are carried out by people who have obtained their weapons legally.
There are millions of illegally held weapons in the states, yet they don't figure prominently in mass shootings.
Does that mean criminals are more sane than non criminals.
some american shootists are found mentally incapable to stand trial

And yet they were able to buy guns.

Sub 12ft lb air rifles also have a problem that might cause more controls in England.

Up here in Scotland to own or shoot a Sub 12FT. lbs air weapon you MUST have a license, a so called Air Weapon license.

To get even that, you WILL get a home visit from a Firearms cop, you must prove it is being stored correctly, the police can and do talk to your Doctor, your records as held by the state are interrogated, and [If the powers that be] have any sense, your Facebook profile.

These licenses were first issued up here some 5 years ago, they last for 5 years, I have just undergone my renewal process.

Also you MUST have a good reason to own such a FIREARM [Air weapons are classified as a Firearm] that being a member of a club or a permission [in writing] to shoot [say] vermin on someones land.

it is an offence to.
1/. Shoot targets out your own back door, unless the Police Chief Constable states in writing that you are permitted to do this.
2/. Have an air WEAPON out of a gun bag or gun slip on the street.
3/. You are not permitted to take your air WEAPON out of the case or slip if you are within 25 yards of the center line of a public road

The club I am a member of is now being asked several times a month as to whether "Joe Bloggs" is a member, either because some numpty is chancing his arm and has applied for an AWL, or it is a member, or??? an Ex-Member whose AWL is up for renewal.

When this legislation came in 5 years ago the Police did not want it they had enough powers as it was, this legislation is sucking in manpower and time and money to administer.

But not to worry sometime soonish it WILL be made into law in England, whether before or after Cross Bow Legislation ?? Typical Knee jerk reaction to appease a "Horrified Populous"
As an aside, there are many, many cross bows far, far, far more powerful than a Sub-12 Ft-lbs air WEAPON

Finally Yes I shoot 0.22 small bore in a club, I also take part in dozens of club level competitions, and with the same club I have shot full bore on an approved range at 600 yards, that was really scary, when asked who had loaded the rounds, I was told that [someone] had, how much powder did you use I asked?? Naa I did not measure it. if I can hear the bullet squeak when I cramp it into the case that will be OK, after the shoot I was told that was a wind up.

As for America, I despair, and am more than happy to live with the [and in my opinion] necessary restrictions over here, even for Air WEAPONS

Ken.

When this legislation came in 5 years ago the Police did not want it they had enough powers as it was, this legislation is sucking in manpower and time and money to administer.

I have a feeling that Scotland may be on the right track but taken too far. You don't really need much space to use a sub 12 air rifle for target shooting but you do meed to consider where to put the target, what to put behind it and what is behind that and of course it's height. The problem is all who take shooting them even semi seriously do all of that and more.

A google suggests that Scotland still has one of the problem that also occurs here. Cats. The current UK attempt to cure that is age restrictions. We all hope it works and that dad doesn't hate them. If not policed effectively though...............

A google suggests that Scotland still has one of the problem that also occurs here. Cats. The current UK attempt to cure that is age restrictions
True, the brief trial of putting them in wheelie bins wasn't received well.

Sponsored Links
Back