This might be a stupid question, but ...

kev

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved to a new house with oil-fired central heating where all
radiators except the kitchen have a thermostatic valve and I'm not sure how this all
works together. I'm used to heating with a room thermostat and a couple of TRVs.

I do understand the principles of TRVs etc, but what I'm not sure about is whether
the boiler ever shuts down when the heating is set to run? Is it the case that
the burner uses up oil constantly, with all the excess heat going out through the
kitchen radiator when the other rooms TRVs switch off or does the burner actually
stop using oil at any stage (its very quiet and hard to tell by listening :-/ )

Thanks in advance

Kev

Sponsored Links
It isn't a stupid question but this answer may be, it's only my basic understanding of how the system should work.

The TRVs will turn the rads on and off dependant on the teperature of the air flowing through the airholes in the valve (so don't block them up by painting etc.

There has to be one radiator left open so the system has a open loop even if all of the TRVs are closed otherwise the pump will be building up pressure, not moving water. In your case the kitchen rad.

The boiler should test the temperature of the returning water and if it is too hot - the more radiators are open the more the temperature of the returning water will drop - it should shut off for a bit. You can usually adjust the temperature setting. Bit of a balancing act this, much like setting the TRVs themselves. Too high and on mild days one radiator is baking hot whilst the windows are open throughout the house, too low and the whole system only gets luke warm.
[/b]

That *was* what I was hoping might happen and I'm glad somebody else thinks
its possible. The boiler does have a water thermostat so I'll try playing around with
that.

I also had a more careful listen was the heating came on and was able to hear a
change in sound at one point which I'd interpret to be the burner starting, whereas
before it would just be the pump I guess.

Anyway, ta for your reply.

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back