This sound expensive to you?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a quote from a contractor who was recommended by a friend - I have no doubt about the quality of his work.

He has quoted for a few jobs and they all seem to be on the high side but not outrageously so apart from this one which I would welcome some input on:-

Remove tiles from above kitchen worktops (splash back)
Make good plaster ready for new tiles
Remove sink and gas hob
Install new worktops (joints to be routed, Butt and scribed)
Re-install gas hob
install new sink

This does not include the supply of the worktops, gas work to be carried out by gas safe engineer

Kitchen worktops are an L shape, long leg of the L is 5 metres long (with inset gas hob). Short leg is 1.8 metre long with inset sink.

£980 + vat

Got to say that this is a lot more than I anticipated but I haven't as yet got any alternative quotes to compare it with.

So, what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Get 2 more quotes, then we'll let you know if it's expensive.

Can't you remove the tiles yourself? Is the old worktop coming out too? If you can remove this and take it all plus tiles down to the local tip then you'll save him hassle of removal and disposal and he may well give you a lower quote.

Yes I could remove the tiles myself but I would only anticipate this taking a couple of hours at most so not going to significently affect the price. I cant remove the old worktops as I would need to disconnect the gas hob first.

I am going to get a price from a kitchen fitter who was recommended to me but I thought I would ask the opinion of the forum as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back