Thorn Apollo Boiler & 'Switchmaster' 3 Port Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This follows from previous topic; new pump "Flowson" fitted and now working OK, but a new or allied problem has developed. The boiler wont stay on after approx 15-20 mins.

There is now hot water, but no heating. The system has a "SWITCHMASTER" BLUE COVER 3 port motorised valve with 3 positions - 1) Hot Water 2- Heating 3) Hot Water & Heating.

When programmer is switched ON for both HW & HTG, the MV arrow head remains in Hot Water position setting. The heating pipe from the MV is cold but the hot water flow & return to the cylinder coil is hot.

IF I manually switch the MV arrowhead from hot water to heating & hot water (room stat calling for heat and programmer HW & HTG both in the constant on position) the pipe momentarily becomes warm, but then rotates itself slowly back to just the hot warer position.

If I decrease the room stat to click "off" the boiler immediately switches off. The pilot also later went out and nothing coul switch it back on again; I gave up at this point.

QUESTIONS: 1) If calling for both HW and heat, what would keep the
(from the MV arrowhead only in the HW position instead of
above HW and HEAT.
scenario)
2) What would cause the boiler to immediately switch off
when decreasing room stat setting, and prevent it
relighting.

3) What will prevent the boiler pilot from remaining lit
when it was OK before a decrease in the room stat
was applied.

If I leave it a few hours I can then get the pilot re-lit and go through the whole pointless exercise again;any clues anyone? Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back