Thoughts on trying to render over this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's walls of an outdoor patio area in Edinburgh to the rear of a house which has these tile fronted bricks from c1890-1900. The area would look so much better if it could be smooth rendered.

I asked a firm I know who do rendering work and he didn't see it as a good idea!

Seems unlikely the tiled front would chisel off and even if it did it would be an awful lot of work.
What are thoughts on it please?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 149
Sponsored Links
dont render. clean it up esp the plants growin in the joins.
somethin has been tried below and hasnt been a success.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies . There were window apertures changed to doors previously just underneath where I photographed. The surface you can see just below the tiles looks to me like it is probably rendered; there was steel RSJ put in behind there, that’s how it looks patched.

Re replies

Never thought about some sort of mesh. Could you elaborate a bit on that for me please?

Cladding. What sort of thing were you thinking? I’m open to ideas however there are windows, doors, rhone pipes and things (I didn’t photograph)that might make cladding a bit tricky.

You’re right on the growth. It needs attention and is a bit of a problem. I’d seen rendering as an idea that’d maybe put an end to it.

Thanks but that video is starting off on a surface quite different from a shiny tiled surface! Why are they using the mesh there?

When you mentioned mesh I pictured something like metal mesh screwed to the tiled bricks.

Appreciate the input but I’m not sure that applies here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back