Thoughts on using tile adhesive to fill chase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Added a couple extra spurs to a room

And I must say that i did a decent job with the chiselling/chasing if I'm honest :D:D

Sparkies, what are your thoughts on using tile adhesive to fill the chase? ie (where the conduit will go)

I'd then finish with either gyproc easi fill or multi finish?

Yay or nay? And why?

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_171656308.jpg
    IMG_20200429_171656308.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_20200429_171653677~2.jpg
    IMG_20200429_171653677~2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 333
Sponsored Links
No doubt many will say nay, be horrified at the thought of a bodge.
But then when you cannot get the right materials you gotta do what you can do.
This is how its been for many many years and will be for many more years.

Looks like a fair chase to me. Tile adhesive will be fine but an expensive solution. I assume you have some left over but no base plaster to hand.

Question: Why does the cable from the floor get capping over it but the one that's going to go between both sockets not?
I'd have thought that even though it's in a safe zone, the horizontal one is the one that is most at risk of someone drilling there?

Sponsored Links
Capping, especially plastic, has nothing to do with the likelihood of drilling.

There is no point making a chase wide enough just so that capping can be used.

Looks like a fair chase to me. Tile adhesive will be fine but an expensive solution. I assume you have some left over but no base plaster to hand.
I have leftovers of all the usual suspects e.g. Sand/cement, bonding, multifinish, adhesive

However after doing some tiling, i have taken a liking to adhesive.

It's flexible, slow setting, easy to manipulate, easy to mix and sets rock hard.

All the above suggested to me that it could make a good chase filler. But i wanted to ask first before making a major faux pas

Question: Why does the cable from the floor get capping over it but the one that's going to go between both sockets not?
I'd have thought that even though it's in a safe zone, the horizontal one is the one that is most at risk of someone drilling there?

The cable that will go across is protected with oval plastic conduit.

I only removed the cable/conduit to prime the surface as it was so chalky/dusty.

Hopefully this will help the filling material to adhere to the wall

Thanks for help and comment.

Capping, especially plastic, has nothing to do with the likelihood of drilling.

Is it to protect the cable from the trowel when plastering?

And perhaps, to allow the cable to be removed easier than it would be, if it was simply plastered over?

Last edited:
My plasterer used plaster board adhesive to fill the chases, it works fine & sets hard so shouldn't break up even if the chases aren't very deep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back