Plastering over a small single chase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve done a bit of plastering over my years, but usually starting from scratch and using multi.
I’ve been volunteered to assist the in-laws with covering up a chase following them having an electrical socket moved about 2 ft down the wall, so it’s not the largest of areas. From the pictures, it looks like the electrician filled the chase with hardwall or bonding when he did it a couple of weeks ago, but just put a face plate over the old socket. I need to fill this void from the old socket and then plaster to a finish over this whole section, hopefully without having to plaster the whole wall.

so my question is, what should I use to fill the old socket void (I don’t really want to have to open a whole bag of bonding for such a small section), and is there a pre mixed product you could recommend to skim over the chase (again, I don’t really want to crack open a whole bag of multi for such a small area).
Finally, if the electrician has made the bonding flush with the current wall, when I come to put my finish on I’m not going to achieve a flush finish with the rest of the wall. Any thoughts? I guess if I spread the skim out over a larger area that may help.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 364F314C-64D5-4114-A969-F3592C48C704.jpeg
    364F314C-64D5-4114-A969-F3592C48C704.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 307
  • 2F10AFA4-1D66-4F20-9371-56D11ABA1030.jpeg
    2F10AFA4-1D66-4F20-9371-56D11ABA1030.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Given it’s in the corner, blending in multi shouldn’t be too bad if you’ve plastered before. For the few quid - I’d still crack open a new bag for the better result. Otherwise easifill.
To fill the box - agree overkill for a new bag of bonding. Fill with anything suitable eg sand & cement, even a mini bag of premixed stuff or Polyfilla would prob do it, with space left for a couple mm of multi.

Is the cable in the old box disconnected and dead? Is there a second cable? There might be good reasons why the electrician left a face plate, cable safe zones might be another one...

Thinking about it, I am almost certain there must be another cable coming in from the top, that is then extended through the chase to the bottom, no?
If so, you should ask the electrician or in the electricians' forum here, whether you can plaster over, or not. It might depend on what connectors were used.

Sponsored Links
Is the cable in the old box disconnected and dead?

Good point - I’d assumed it was dead, going off words in o/p.
Looking closer at the pictures, I’d agree with Chris, likely to be a cable dropping down from ceiling and it’s live.
Can’t quite see connectors wrapped in a plastic bag. Def ask for electrician advice if these are allowed to be buried or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back