Whats the best mix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Have just finished the electrics today. EPIC. Tommorow I will start to plaster over the old light sockets that have been moved around and plaster in the new sockets as well.

I'm novice at plastering, but reading other posts it is recommended to use Thistle Hardwall/Bonding Plaster and Multi Finish Plaster.

My walls are dry like Gandi's flip flop so I also brought PVA.

Whats the best plaster mix to use to fill in the old sockets and chases left behind?
I've got about a dozen to fill in, with vary degrees of thickness, with the deeper holes do I layer them and come back later?

Any advice is welcome guys
Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
I normally use bonding to fill them up. Give each chase etc a good soak/pva, then put the plaster in. If they are extra deep, then half fill them and leave them a while to steady up, or if you prefer,,, scratch them and come back to them later in the day. Once they're all filled up and set, then put on your multi finish. Clean the chases etc around the edges as you go, for a neater job

or another option is to fill them flush with one coat plaster and apply a few coats of easy fill over top once it has set, and sand back to a smooth finish. This is advice from more of a sparky than a spead though!

or another option is to fill them flush with one coat plaster and apply a few coats of easy fill over top once it has set, and sand back to a smooth finish. This is advice from more of a sparky than a spead though!

Still good advice though John!! ;)

Sponsored Links
Chaps, before easyfill/multi, any scrim tape needed over the edge of the chases to the existing ?
Or are chases usually ok without, as only small?

Chaps, before easyfill/multi, any scrim tape needed over the edge of the chases to the existing ?
Taping over the chase joins is desirable but if not re-skimming the wall, you will see a bulge if you don’t blend out around 200mm or so either side; even then you may still see it, especially if the area is side lit! If not re-skimming the entire wall, what you can do is remove the skim down to the base coat an inch either side of the chase, fill the chase out to the level of the base with Bonding, apply the tape over the join & then skim or fill over the chase & the tape, blending in with the existing level. ;)

Never used any with my method and never had a problem to date, i suppose if you were concerned then a dab of pva on the edges of the chase may be belt and brace, but as I said,, I have never had a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back