Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Well the BBC story is pretty clear: "Richard Bull, 32, died when his iPhone charger made contact with the water".

"Mr Bull is believed to have plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone, the Sun reports. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

That's not going to be a problem on a sofa.

It seems to me that this is nothing to do with fake or faulty chargers or leakage, and all to do with not knowing that electricity and water is a potentially fatal combination - and a lack of RCDs.

Fair enough didn't read the BBC article! Resting it on your chest really is something else...

The very poor reporting is also a feature of the story.

You'd think they would have mentioned whether the bath was bonded correctly, incorrectly, unnecessarily or not.

Sponsored Links
I did try to find a good report, the one on the BBC says it comes from the Sun so you can forget that one, and rest are not very good, so you have a number of things which could have happened.

What I am considering is if the extension lead fell into the bath then it's nothing to do with an Iphone, same goes if the charger was not a genuine Iphone charger, so there would be no point sending the report to Apple. So fact that Apple was to be alerted we are lead to believe it was some thing to do with the Apple product.

So I have considered what could have been wrong with the Apple product? I would have expected to see
6cb01cf1-ff5f-4a6f-bfee-faf05986190c_200.png
this marking meaning it is "Safety isolating transformer, short-circuit proof" however looking at power supplies in my house that sign is not on many of them. There is a circle with a V inside no idea what that means!, a house which would seem to say it should be used in doors, a bin with a cross through it, which I assume means not to be put in the bin, the CE mark which I assumes means Chinese export! and the double square which means it does not require an earth the only sign I know what it means. However there is nothing to show the USB power supply isolates.

Now don't have an Iphone so can't look at Iphone charger, so thought I should select one which has come with a British product, the one I was looking at came with my Energenie MiHome hub, although hub made in England the power supply is made in China well know that it has CE mark.

As I go around the house this is repeated, the Yamaha supply is made in Japan so does not have CE mark, but other than that all seem to be the same, they do not claim to either isolate or be short circuit protected, well did find one with a mark showing it is fuse protected, but not isolation. Until this thread I had not looked, I assumed power supplies would isolate. I did find a Christmas decoration power supply with the isolation mark, but we all see the labels
safety__tg_circuitex_fig11.gif
but do we know what it means?

I would have expected to see this marking meaning it is "Safety isolating transformer, short-circuit proof"
Most chargers and similar devices do not contain such things, because if the did they would be much larger and more expensive.

To clarify, as I don't have one, is an i-phone charger a wall-wart?

i.e. can it fall in the water without the extension lead socket?

Damn - I was going to ask that, but I thought I'd finish reading Eric's post first.

But we must surely "know" the answer, in that has anyone ever seen a phone charger which is not a wall-wart?

Ithere would be no point sending the report to Apple. So fact that Apple was to be alerted we are lead to believe it was some thing to do with the Apple product.
Maybe she is going to complain that the instructions didn't contain instructions telling users not to behave like idiots and to actually THINK.

These power supplies are all isolated. They all contain transformers with good insulation between primary and secondary. There will be a 3mm gap (or whatever the requirement is) between primary and secondary PCB tracks.
There may be a small capacitor across the isolation for EMC purposes, but it will be safety-rated and of a sufficinetly small value that it does not allow much current to flow at 50 Hz.

NONE OF THIS HELPS IF YOU DROP IT IN THE BATH.

Damn - I was going to ask that, but I thought I'd finish reading Eric's post first.

But we must surely "know" the answer, in that has anyone ever seen a phone charger which is not a wall-wart?

I have seen a number of extension leads with usb ports on, and also plug in usb boxes, so I assume at least some people may just use a Usb to phone lead.
Though most I quess use a wallmart or a wallmart with a usb outlet.
I did read ther trying to limit the amount of walmarts going to landfill, so a lot of gear is only supplied with a Usb lead

Im sure some muppet would plug one of these into a shaver socket

eu-plug-15w-3a-usb-desktop-charger-ac-power.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back