Threads on compression fittings - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1/2" copper feed into a valve through a compression fitting and I need to replace the valve and subsequent copper. The nut at the entry to the valve is very close to a bulkead and while access to the nut is just possible it would be virtually impossible to cut back and change the nut and olive.
Is the thread on a new 15mm valve likely to match the one on the end of my 1/2" pipe?
If not it is likely to be hammer and chisel time, lots of work, dust, bad language and eventual making good, so I'm really hoping for some good news fellas....;o)
Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
The odds are in your favour.

You can check compatibility by screwing the nut of the new fitting onto the old valve.

Unless you really do have 1/2 inch copper and it has a VERY old Prestex fitting on it - with a very fine thread- ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks, it looks like I'm in with a fair chance. I just needed a bit of reassurance before I dived in and started tearing things apart...
If it does all go wrong for some reason I'll come back with the story so someone els might benefit.
Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back