Three, international roaming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice lads/lasses
Going abroad tomorrow to the USA
I have been advised to turn off international roaming because of costs
But then three have a deal called feel at home that is tied into 16 counties including the USA
Confused is what I am
Can anyone offer a bit of advice please
Chatting to the three operator this morning she advised ringing up after 3 days ( when we are on a ship) and asking for roaming/ Internet to be blocked for the 7 days we are on the boat which seemed to make sense
Also do other countries have the equivalent of iCloud and free wifi in their shops ?
Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
I don't have the answer to your specific question but do watch out for data roaming. Many phone apps will run in the background and could be using data even though you are not actively connecting. Results can be very high data charges so look carefully at that. Best to run off data roaming if you're at all unsure about what is being used and just use local wifi if available.

Buying Pay as You go SIM in the country you are visiting when you arrive can save a lot of money in some countries. It definitely works for visitors coming to the UK from New Zealand who have to make calls to UK landlines and mobiles on UK networks.

At my local garage this afternoon one of the lads, also on three, showed me how to switch data and roaming off on my iPhone
Couldn't believe how easy it is
He was recently in Amsterdam , which does not have feels like home, and paid £5 a day for all you eat data

Sponsored Links
Me and my lads are all on 3. The eldest went Stateside for a Lax tour and he got roaming for nowt. Just switched on when he got off the plane, made sure he was connected to one of two carriers (can't remember which ones now, sorry) and bingo, he was away.

Forgot about this thread
We are back and have a bill
Voice minutes 8+ £7.50
Text 12 £1.50
I had switched off roaming and paid 39$ for 300 mb of wifi on the ship
Otherwise I just used wifi in cafe Nero or macedees
Odd though cos three claim that the U.S. is one of 16 countries that they have a "feel at home" agreement with

The feel at home deal is supposed to allow you to use your allowed minutes etc. at no extra cost
On wifi on land we were connected to T mobile or AT&T
Funnily enough we are both due for an upgrade and are looking at the iPhone 6 but the monthly deals on three are from £45-£52 a month which is not cheap
At the moment we are both on £35 a month with unlimited data but rarely pay that.its generally closer to those higher figures especially in my case as I call a lot of boiler technical helplines. Halstead are 80 pence a minute ffs

Sponsored Links
Back