Three phase box to new metered supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to put meter between three phase box and new metered supply.

Spark saying just use one of phases to new box with meter between.
Is this correct?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Want to put meter between three phase box and metered supply. Spark saying just use one of phases to new box with meter between. Is this correct?
I think we need a somewhat clearer explanation o what you want to do.

Kind Regards, John

I think we need a somewhat clearer explanation o what you want to do.

Kind Regards, John

Building has a 3 phase supply in from street. A room in the building draws from one of the phases of this 3 phase supply. Room needs to be seperately metered.
My understanding of what spark wants to do is he wants to tee off one of phases into meter then to seperate fuse/RCD box for the room.
Is that pretty much how it should be done?

Building has a 3 phase supply in from street. A room in the building draws from one of the phases of this 3 phase supply. Room needs to be seperately metered.
Fair enough - but are you talking about 'private' metering (downstream of a 3-phase meter covering the whole installation), or are you talking about having a totally separate metered supply for the one room? If the latter, it would be a supplier and/or DNO you would need to be talking to, not an electrician.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, it's your 'private' category. The meter is for indicative purposes so we can assess the cost of running plant. Have you a technical view of this?
thanks

Thanks John, it's your 'private' category. The meter is for indicative purposes so we can assess the cost of running plant. Have you a technical view of this?
thanks
Installing a meter on one circuit for monitoring purposes is perfectly good and very commonplace. In large plantrooms it is common practice to meter any device over say 5KW.

Thanks John, it's your 'private' category. The meter is for indicative purposes so we can assess the cost of running plant. Have you a technical view of this? thanks
In that case, you just need to insert the 'private' (single phase) meter in the feed (of one phase) from the main (presumably 3-phase) meter to the room in question.

Kind Regards, John

Want to put meter between three phase box and new metered supply.

Spark saying just use one of phases to new box with meter between.
Is this correct?
As a practising electrician I find the notion of getting a spark to look at a job and posting here to ask DIYERS to confirm his proposal is a bit bizarre.
Before you jump down my throat John, I'm not challenging your response.

As a practising electrician I find the notion of getting a spark to look at a job and posting here to ask DIYERS to confirm his proposal is a bit bizarre.
I essentially agree. However, I would point out that, although it obviously doesn't necessarily always work like this (and didn't on this occasion), I think the idea of this forum is so that DIYers, or other non-electricians, can ask questions and get responses primarily from electricians. If taht were not the case, it really would be a case of 'the blind leading the blind'!.
Before you jump down my throat John, I'm not challenging your response.
You may not disagree with the content of my response, but you are presumably critical of the fact that I (or anyone else) had responded to the questions at all. However, that won't make me 'jump down your throat' :)

Kind Regards, John

I essentially agree. However, I would point out that, although it obviously doesn't necessarily always work like this (and didn't on this occasion), I think the idea of this forum is so that DIYers, or other non-electricians, can ask questions and get responses primarily from electricians. If taht were not the case, it really would be a case of 'the blind leading the blind'!.
You may not disagree with the content of my response, but you are presumably critical of the fact that I (or anyone else) had responded to the questions at all. However, that won't make me 'jump down your throat' :)

Kind Regards, John
I'm not at all critical of you responding. I just find it odd to start with an electrician proposing a design and getting it verified in here. I would also say that the vast majority of posts in here are by diyers.

I'm not at all critical of you responding. I just find it odd to start with an electrician proposing a design and getting it verified in here.
It is odd, and it's sad that it is ever 'necessary'.

However, unfortunate though it may be, it's not all that unusual to see people here being advised to seek a different electrician, because of the advice/proposals they have received from the 'electrician' they have consulted.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not at all critical of you responding. I just find it odd to start with an electrician proposing a design and getting it verified in here.
I don't think this was the format of OP, however I see nothing wrong with a fully qualifed and competant person proposing some work and consulting with other professionals as to the suitability or best options. I actually welcome such 'brain storming' sessions for mutual learning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back