Three phase current and Whole current

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there differences between these two and what are there??
I thought they are the same thing?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by 'Whole Current"?

In 3 phase the voltage between phases is 400v and between a Phase and neutral it is 230V

There is alot more to this depending on the type of Supply

Delta Connection

Line Voltage = Phase Voltage

Line Current = The square root of 3xphase Current

Star Connection

Line Current = Phase Current

Line Voltage = The square root of 3xphase voltage

That is just a very brief summary!!!!!!

Are you talking about 3-phase current being described as Amps-per-phase?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by 'Whole Current"?
single%20currant.jpg

Its in reference to CT metering being described as whole current metering?? :confused:

Thanks for that Ban all Sheds, laughed so much nearly got a round in!

I believe a whole current meter is basically not a CT meter! In other words 'whole current' and 'current transformer (CT)' are two different classes of meter. Whole current meters are directly connected to the current carrying lines and the measurement method operates directly on them - for example your traditional induction wheel old style domestic meters. CT meters use current transformers to indirectly measure current for various reasons - safely measuring large currents, interfacing with electronics, allowing the meter to be positioned remotely of the main current carrying lines, etc. For example - I believe modern electronic domestic electricity meters use CTs to interface with the low power measurement electronics.

liam

I believe a whole current meter is basically not a CT meter! In other words 'whole current' and 'current transformer (CT)' are two different classes of meter. Whole current meters are directly connected to the current carrying lines and the measurement method operates directly on them - for example your traditional induction wheel old style domestic meters. CT meters use current transformers to indirectly measure current for various reasons - safely measuring large currents, interfacing with electronics, allowing the meter to be positioned remotely of the main current carrying lines, etc. For example - I believe modern electronic domestic electricity meters use CTs to interface with the low power measurement electronics.

liam

Thanks for that.
Are the low voltage electronics and CT's kept remote because of EMF on the supply have an effect of accurate electronic readings?
Forgive me, I am guessing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back