Phase

W

walton

Hi What is the difference between single phase 2 phase and three phase electricity :eek:

Sponsored Links
1 phase and 120 degrees in rotation in relation to each other

walton said:
Hi What is the difference between single phase 2 phase and three phase electricity :eek:

ask your lecturer.

Im not a student however i have invented an electrical device which although uses 240w produces 660w on 12v

im trying to find out if it could work on 240v :eek:

Sponsored Links
walton said:
Im not a student however i have invented an electrical device which although uses 240w produces 660w on 12v

im trying to find out if it could work on 240v :eek:

There are loads of pertpetual motion machines about too so yours is not the first.

In fact the music industry are best thgeir amplifiers produce about ten times more wattage than they take in if you believe the hype they call specifications!!!

ban-all-sheds said:
walton said:
i have invented an electrical device which although uses 240w produces 660w on 12v
No you haven't.

Oh ban you could have humoured him - if hi fi manufacturers claim to then why not him ? It`s better than Einstein & Newton

walton said:
i have invented an electrical device which although uses 240w produces 660w on 12v
That's a shame - under the Perpetual Motion Regulations, machines like this work only as long as you don't tell anyone about them. Now you've told us, you'll find it won't work any more.

And you can't patent it now you've published it, either! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Howard

Best of luck with your invention, even if I am a little skeptical.

In answer to your question, the generator generates 3 phrases. Being AC (alternating current) the 'voltages' on each reach a maximum at slightly different times to each other, thus they are different phases.

Generally speaking, what you get in your domestic situation is one of these phases plus a neutral only. Thus it is only single phase.

Wouldn't worry about patents if I were you. You can say you've invented something, just so long as you don't give out any details. Getting the patent office to agree it is eligible though, may be a different matter.

And it seems to me you shouldn't be worrying about 1 or 3 phase either. You don't say whether your invention works on dc or ac, but whatever, if you haven't needed 3 phases up to now, why worry about them ?

seriously if you really have invented a perpetual motion machine as you seem to claim then you will have turned all our current scientific theory on its head. It seems far more likely that you have ****ed up in your measurements or something.

more than likely calculation error, especially using power formulae when phase angle dimming is involved you cannot rely on your load being the stated wattage as this rating is determined at the manufacturers when on a sinusoidal supply mains rating. does your invention involve phase angle triggering or the like?

plugwash said:
It seems far more likely that you have **** up in your measurements or something.
No - it seems absolutely certain that he is either a liar or a complete idiot.

Kind of like what Kendor says, you probably haven't invented what you think you have, but have misinterpreted what you think you're measuring. No need to tell us about the invention, but tell us your measuring method and we can point out any potential holes in it.

Will save a lot of embarassment at the patent office...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back