Three phase mainswitch connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does it matter which side the meter tails are connected to a 100A consumer unit main switch? It's a conventional four pole (TP+N) isolation with no integrated overcurrent or rcd devices. The tails have been connected to the bottom (for what I assume is cable routing convenience) which presents no particular problems with wiring the board as it's split in several ways. Everything else is connected conventionally and I can't see that it can have any electrical or safety consequences, but I would be interested in some professional opinions.

Sponsored Links
If the isolator isn't marked with in/out then I doubt it matters.

If it was put in a 3 phase board, then a majority if not all, the supply Tails would have to go in the bottom anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I certainly don't need an electrician, it was connected that way by a qualified sparks in the first place! I was just checking if I was missing something to do with the internal connections in the isolator.

As I said, the board isn't connected in a conventional way and the isolator is doing its job.

A few pics would give a clearer picture of what you are asking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back