Three Phase Meter spinning but not counting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There.

In our office in London we have had a three phase suplly installed and they put in a new meter (The Landlord that is) The meter is spinning but the counter is not counting.

Not that I mind as they can tell how much elec I have used.

Just curious to know how or why that might happen?

Power work fine

Sponsored Links
Deny all knowledge of it when/if they discover it as they might back charge you if you admit you knew about it!!

If you want to save yourself a lot of hassle in the future, tell your supplier about the problem. If you do not then you will get involved in a dispute about estimating how much electricity you use, pleading ignorance is no excuse & I am fairly sure they will not be prepared to write off any previous use, especially on a business supply. Or keep your fingers crossed :confused:

Sponsored Links
Now this one I probably can help with.

When you say 'they' and 'the landlord' are you talking about the same entity.

Is this a tenant billing system?
OR
Did the landlord arrange for a full supply to be installed for you and it was installed by the local REC (Regional Electricity Company - not that they really exist anymore). This would likely have been EDF in London.

Simple test - are you expecting a bill from your landlord or a main utility provider.

FootSore

If it is the Landlord then I am sure the current regulations are as follows:

None

Domestic customers have lots of protection from Ofgem in relation to the type of meter used (Ofgem approved for tariff billing) and the unit price (must be charged at the cost paid 0% markup)

Commercial customers have no protection - they are deemed savvy enough to fight their own battles. As long as the landlord and tenant agree they can use anything to measure the energy and they can charge whatever the hell they like per kWh. You should have asked the unit price when leasing the property.

If the meter isn't working then any determination of fair usage and back payments for the period is a commercial discussion. Just offer him nothing at all. Ask him to prove what you have used and check the terms of the lease in relation to charging for utilities.

If it is a "Supplier" then estimation methods are applicable and back payments would be required. However if it runs for over a year then they may have difficulty claiming back more than 1 years usage.

FootSore

The how?

This depends on the type of metering:

Whole current - Mechanical
Faulty meter

Whole Current - Electrical
Faulty or meter or someone really buggered up the commissioning of the meter

CT - Electrical
Faulty Meter. CTs the wrong way round, phases wired incorrectly, incorrect or null CT values. Or once again someone really buggered up the commissioning of the meter.

FootSore

FootSore said:
CT - Electrical
Faulty Meter. CTs the wrong way round, phases wired incorrectly, incorrect or null CT values. Or once again someone really b*****r up the commissioning of the meter.

FootSore

Disc is spinning!!

I had read that and thought I would just include for all contingencies. Although I missed one:

CT-Mechanical
Faulty Meter. CTs the wrong way round, phases wired incorrectly, incorrect CT values.

Such as Siemens FMK

And in truth I probably missed out CT shorting links shorted, faulty CTs, they forgot the CTs! CT cables not connected, burnt out CTs as they were underated. Maybe they installed VTs and the meter doesn't operate with VTs

Have you installed many meters today?

FootSore

Hi Footsure and others.

They are the landlord and they used their own third party electrician to install the meter. The use will be billed by the landlord.

They are very disorganised and to be honest I am not too concerned about the charge rate as they have agree that it would be at the normal utility rates and not 'loaded'.

I was just wondering how the meter was spinning and not registering. I think that has been answered in that it was faulty workamnship or goods.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back