Three Way Valve Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a 10 year old Glow-worm Ultracom 12hxi condensing boiler.
It would appear that my three way valve (mid position actuator) has gone faulty. I noticed that the house was getting very warm but the room thermostat was set below the air temperature. Did not really think about it until I tried to shower and found the water cold. The boiler was getting a demand from the hot water thermostat so I am guessing the the actuator was directing the water to the CH system. I switched off the power and the system and the actuator returned to rest position. I then switched it on again and there was no movement even though the water tank had to be in demand given the water temperature. I would prefer to replace only the motor, if possible, so that I do not have to drain the system but do not know whether that is a good idea or even possible. The valve is a Drayton MA1 and has been installed for at least 20 years. I would appreciate any advice regarding how I can be sure it is the motor or is it better to go for a full replacement?

Thanks

Bob

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks Ian and Harry. This allows me to buy with confidence. On further checking the only time the actuator returns to the HW only position is when power is removed but it does remain there if there is no CH demand so at least I can manage it manually until the part comes through. Nice to know I have been lucky for all this time. Thanks again. Bob

Sponsored Links
If the actuator returns underno power, then replacing the synchron motor will not cure the problem. I think a customer is lucky if they get 3 years out of one of these. When sourcing a new actuator, you will find you can purchase a complete valve cheaper than just the actuator. Google is your friend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back