Tiger stripes!

[
Ahhh,,, be careful TM, if you use the wrong kind of mixer,,,, the anti clockwise one,, it "un-mixes", and turns it all back to powder, very difficult to spread they say. :LOL: :LOL:
funny you should say that rc refina do a paddle that mixes in the reverse direction the mr3r, it mixes from top to bottom instead of bottom to top i dont think it turns it back to powder though m8 :LOL:

It pushes the stuff down and is easier to hold the whisk which tends to lift up, less messy as it throws down rather than up. I think my mega mixer has same paddle, I don't think the bosch has

Sponsored Links
[quote="Richard C";p=" I seem to remember you saying you didn’t start out a 2 coater. :!:[/quote]lol just seen this rich where did i say that? i was taught 2 coats, the nearest i come to one coat is giving it 2 coats out of the same mix but ive never been a one coat merchant even when i spongefloat

hey, this is me you're talking to Micilin! there are no silly questions!

then...which i seem to be really confused about i have patches of...well i don't know how to describe it really, kinds like the cheeks of a person who has had really bad acne as a kid and now just has really bumpy cheeks, a mottled lumpyness which is in the plaster from the time i first flatten it and never leaves.

I am not a plasterer (totaly self taught) but have done loads over the years, what you describe above used to happen to me ... I used to put it down to not troweling up the first coat enough but then changed to a bigger wisk and a much slower drill and my problem seemed to go..... hope this helps.
Whats a spatch BTW.
Baza

I seem to remember you saying you didn’t start out a 2 coater. :!:
lol just seen this rich where did i say that? i was taught 2 coats, the nearest i come to one coat is giving it 2 coats out of the same mix but ive never been a one coat merchant even when i spongefloat
Christ Steve how the hell do you expect me to remember that far back, I have trouble remembering what I did last week these days :rolleyes: Who knows but no slight was intended & it was probably rather “tongue in check” reading it back! I must have picked something up from another thread at the time cos it isn’t part of this one; maybe I miss read or misunderstood or whatever! ;)

I’m probably going to lay myself open to all sorts of abuse here but I’ve advised newbies several times in the past & only just recently not to get too hung up on 2 coats, it’s not compulsory or a hard & fast rule. The whole point is to control the suction on the first coat & slow it all down to give time to get that all important perfectly flat finish with the second coat. Two coats is essential on large areas where your going to be working on the limit but if you can work fast enough on a perfectly flat surface such as new stud walls, why bother with a 2nd coat when one will give the same result! If you’ve got someone mixing for you, two coating is no real problem as you just get presented with continuous mud when you need it but I nearly always work alone. I don’t usually 2 coat on smaller areas unless I’m doing two opposing walls at the same time but I will load up & go over some bits with the same mix to bring it back if necessary; but that’s what the 2nd coat is about anyway! I see it as a ballance on the sq/m area & weather or not it’s worth me taking the time out to wash down & mix a second coat; if you can work quick enough on the area involved & your good enough to get the perfect finish, I really don’t see the point. :cool:

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember you saying you didn’t start out a 2 coater. :!:
lol just seen this rich where did i say that? i was taught 2 coats, the nearest i come to one coat is giving it 2 coats out of the same mix but ive never been a one coat merchant even when i spongefloat
Christ Steve how the hell do you expect me to remember that far back, I have trouble remembering what I did last week these days :rolleyes: Who knows but no slight was intended & it was probably rather “tongue in check” reading it back! I must have picked something up from another thread at the time cos it isn’t part of this one; maybe I miss read or misunderstood or whatever! ;)

I’m probably going to lay myself open to all sorts of abuse here but I’ve advised newbies several times in the past & only just recently not to get too hung up on 2 coats, it’s not compulsory or a hard & fast rule. The whole point is to control the suction on the first coat & slow it all down to give time to get that all important perfectly flat finish with the second coat. Two coats is essential on large areas where your going to be working on the limit but if you can work fast enough on a perfectly flat surface such as new stud walls, why bother with a 2nd coat when one will give the same result! If you’ve got someone mixing for you, two coating is no real problem as you just get presented with continuous mud when you need it but I nearly always work alone. I don’t usually 2 coat on smaller areas unless I’m doing two opposing walls at the same time but I will load up & go over some bits with the same mix to bring it back if necessary; but that’s what the 2nd coat is about anyway! I see it as a ballance on the sq/m area & weather or not it’s worth me taking the time out to wash down & mix a second coat; if you can work quick enough on the area involved & your good enough to get the perfect finish, I really don’t see the point. :cool:
i know no slight was intended rich no worries. :)"EDIT" to tell the truth rich that dident even enter my head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back